Tri Colour Parrot Finch behaviour

Includes Species Profile
elferoz777

Hi guys,

Just curious about TCPF behaviour regarding nest boxes.

I have one cock bird and two hens and they are frequently in and out of a budgie nest box yet they have not and appear not to be building a nest.

Its almost like they hide in there from me when I go in the aviary or close to it.

Has anyone experienced this? or know know what they are doing?

It used to be all four (2 pairs) but I found the other male face down in the water dish (it looked like a bloody homicide they way I found him). He had no signs of injury though..
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Trilobite

Typically the TCPF is very reclusive finch and if all your providing them is nest boxes ie no brush then they are looking for somewhere to hide or nest. I am yet to get any nests in a manufactured nest/box etc, only ever in brush. This is probably exercabated if your runing them in std 1-1.5m wide flights.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Trilobite
tonytoast

I have never had any nest in brush....always boxes!!! Hope they settle down in the box.....
SamDavis

I've had them nest in boxes and build their own nest. Mine generally leave the nest pretty easily if I get near but they don't seem to have a problem with a moderate level of nest inspection.
Don't take too much notice of me though as I've never had huge success with them - mine only ever seem to fledge one or two from each nest for some reason.
Tiaris

I agree with trilobite - they are trying hide/find a secure location & need extra cover/brush to feel secure in their enclosure. Much shyer than other PFs & need private screened areas in the aviary to be comfortable in their surroundings.
elferoz777

Hmmmmm

I do have a large brush wall and basket full of brush but maybe its not enough...

the aviary is 3.9 long, 2.5 deep and 1.8 high......seems plenty big..

I have a secluded corner I could completely screen with brush which may help them calm down.

I am heading out west soon and am going to cut bracken fern....hopefully I can screen them to a point where they are doing well
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
nxe04d

My TCPF have nested in boxes and brush. Boxes have both been budgie size boxes and half fronted gouldian type boxes. My aviary is far smaller 1.4m x 1.4 m with one brush wall with boxes mounted amonst the brush with 1 pr Gouldians 1 pr painteds. I get 3 clutches a year with 4-5 fledge per clutch. I also half fill the boxes with grass as per Gouldians. All the best with them settling down and success for you.
Tiaris

As with other PFs they tend to prefer to nest in whatever they were bred in if given adequate choice. Mine use brush most of the time with the occasional nest in box or grass.
elferoz777

hmmm seems I might have to give filling the box up with some more grass ago..

I put a little in but I would not call it a good amount of cover..

Could this help them??

I just hope its an interest in breeding rather than a fear of me and/or the other aviary occupants.

I house the tr colours with one pair of zebs, green singers, siskins and a few goulds...

Watching them they seem to get along with all the other birds pretty well...
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think they'd be scared of the other birds, I mean my tri PFs were shy, but I had them in with (at the time) long tails, zebras, plum heads, gouldians, no problems at all.
Mine laid a few eggs, but mostly just used their box as a roosting nest... :think:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”