Tri Colour Parrot Finch advice

Includes Species Profile
elferoz777

Hi Guys,

My Tri Colours finally settled in a nest recently and after a few weeks I decided to remove the clear eggs from the nest.

The hen has now built a new nest in a half open finch box which I find funny as they were bred in nests that were build in brush.

I currently have 2 hens and 1 rooster.

Does anyone see this as a problem?

Also what else could I do to improve my chances of having a successful clutch?

I know my rooster is quite fit and zips around the aviary with ease so I dont believe his weight is a problem.

I already have remove more of the intrusive and bullying finches and I rarely if at all get close to the nest.

Diet wise I provide them with greens and mealies though I have noticed since my zebs and goldfinches have been moved to another aviary. the mealies die before they get eaten....

Any tips would be great,

Thanks

El Feroz
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Tiaris

Having 2 hens with one cock would not be a problem at all with them. The best way to determine whether fat is an issue is catch the birds and check the skin colour on the belly area. Yellow/orange indicates fat. What size cage are they in? This is relevant to the fat issue as TCPFs in a small aviary need their dietary fat levels strictly controlled to avoid obesity - hold off any livefood before young are present, reduced plain canary seed, etc.
iaos

An example of a fat tri colour

viewtopic.php?f=173&t=10413
elferoz777

Tiaris wrote:Having 2 hens with one cock would not be a problem at all with them. The best way to determine whether fat is an issue is catch the birds and check the skin colour on the belly area. Yellow/orange indicates fat. What size cage are they in? This is relevant to the fat issue as TCPFs in a small aviary need their dietary fat levels strictly controlled to avoid obesity - hold off any livefood before young are present, reduced plain canary seed, etc.
They are in an aviary 3.8 meters longX2.5 meters deep and 1.8 high

I think I may have to catch them soon to have a look...I will see what comes of this second nest first

They have access to oily seeds as I run them with siskins and greenfinches
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Netsurfer

Tiaris wrote:Having 2 hens with one cock would not be a problem at all with them. The best way to determine whether fat is an issue is catch the birds and check the skin colour on the belly area. Yellow/orange indicates fat. What size cage are they in? This is relevant to the fat issue as TCPFs in a small aviary need their dietary fat levels strictly controlled to avoid obesity - hold off any livefood before young are present, reduced plain canary seed, etc.
I don't think oily seeds is an issue, I keep mine with Siskins and Goldfinches and for as long as I can remember they always had fertile eggs. Could be the environment, what size aviary and how many other species do you keep in with them?
Tiaris

Most of the black oily seeds they aren't interested in so they won't usually affect them but sunflower kernels, hulled oats, and extra plain canary seed definitely will all make non-breeding TCPFs fat. Once they become fat you won't get a fertile egg from them until they are trimmed down. If they are already actively breeding the fatty foods don't seem to affect them as much as they are using up extra energy & passing on nutrients to their young.
elferoz777

The more I think about it the more I am sure that it is relating to their youth..it was the first nest.

The other factor was my aviary was rather crowded the first time around compared to what it is now.

Hopefully the new nest will yield better results.

At least it seems the diet is ok

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”