Tri Colour master builder?

Includes Species Profile
Danny

When mine were in that sort of mood I could often get to go to nest properly by supplying a great wad of emu feathers. For some reason its like champagne and strawberries for tri's here and fires them into a breeding frenzy.
Netsurfer

Zeddy wrote:Hey guys I am new to the TCPF and my male seems to be in the mood. He has been chasing the hen non stop and has been starting to build a nest or three :wtf:.
Now he spent a good few days on the first nest(right hand one in pic) then over the last few days he has been building up the middle nest....
Now I thought the hen might have deemed his first effort not suitable for kids :lol: but this morning I see that the first nest has been built up some more.

I have no idea is he building both nests and lets the hen choose or is he bored and tired of tag and just building for the hell of it and using all the old millet stalks I give them to good use.

Thanks

Michael
I would say those nests are way to small for any Parrot Finches, why use those nests at all, you can't even put your hand in. I use 500 gram Coffee tins for all my Parrot finches (remember to drill a few holes along the bottom and sides for ventilation) . Try bigger nests, if they are busy building nests they will eventually start incubating but that may not happen immediately depending on how old the birds are, how tame they are etc. Also the location, I think they a little bit to exposed why not hang them against the back wall. Another important thing is: Is your Aviary exposed to full sun it may get a little to hot for them, think about it as well.
Zeddy

Thank you net for that tip! What size should I aim for would have open gould nest boxes be any good for parrot finches to breed in and anything else other then the coffee tins?
elferoz777

if I can get in without annoying my tcpf I will photo the nest they have built.

My hen has been sitting night and day for 10 days now.

emu feathers are certainly the go for nest material
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Zeddy

Cool I am in the process of ordering a 1kg bag of emu feathers at the moment so it should be good :D

Also stupid question but its emu body feathers you guys buy isnt it?
elferoz777

I am assuming so....

Long skinny type feathers are the go.

I get mine from ebay.

They will use them straight away
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
Netsurfer

Zeddy wrote:Thank you net for that tip! What size should I aim for would have open gould nest boxes be any good for parrot finches to breed in and anything else other then the coffee tins?
Gould next boxes are fine, anything with big enough hole so that you can put your hand in and remove the old nesting material and clean the nest, some people even use wire nests "tubular" etc.
Zeddy

Well I have just ordered the 1kg bag of emu feathers so that should last me a good amount of time :)

I will also post some pics of the brush/nest cage I made this arvo 8-)
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uraeginthus wrote:I wonder if there should be concern about the tris and the redfaced crossing. Anyone comment please.
Have kept those two species together and have never had any crossings...but Tris and Blue face will...as will RF and BF :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Zeddy

So here are my new wire cylinder sunken brush nests for the parrots its fun building stuff :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”