Breeding Tri Coloured Parrot Finches

Includes Species Profile
gouldian 06

Hi to all you Tannie breeders out there,just purchased my first pair a week ago so have been flat out getting my aviary set up only found website when i wanted to find out more about them, would be thank full for any tips.Have been a finch breeder for 23years and have bred most types of finches, had a lot of success with Red Face Parrots back in the 90s so I am basing much of my knowledge on those experiences, also had some experience with Blue Face but does not help if they are both male.I have read most blogs here on the Tannies and i am getting the rush to have some success. Spent most of the 90s in Bird Clubs here in the early days and had to wind things back due to illnes and have started to branch out into a new species or two.
Last edited by gouldian 06 on 24 Nov 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
elferoz777

I started with them this year.

Had some great advice from the owner and it has served me well.

In my experience once I removed some of my goulds and zebs the birds wen straight to nest. I think they dont enjoy the brutish species too much.

Other thing I found that got them going was supplying them with a ton of emu feather. They built the nest almost entirely out of it.

Meal worms helped mine but in moderation as they have a tendency to get heavy.

Apart from that they just like to be left alone...I will fond out this weekend my pair have babies or just another clutch of clear eggs :|
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There more shy and less active compared to red or blue faced parrot finches I think.
gouldian 06

Thanks for both responses,I have them in an aviary 3.5 m by 1.5m 2.1m high with only a pair of Masked Doves in with them,I have nest boxes up near the back roof and some down a bit on opposite side to feeding station.plenty of fresh water and ,I am trying to get seed to sprout on the aviary floor with plenty of grass and feathers through n in,for nesting material, will try to get hold of some Emu feathers,also have substantial Malalucca Brush around two sides, aviary is in a reasonably quiet spot down back of garden.Was out watching them awhile a go and noticed the male giving the hen a hard time second time i have noticed this so i am keeping my fingers crossed
Castaneothorax

I think their mating behaviour is quite similar to the other parrot finch species, ie the male chases the female around. But would be interested on more info WRT housing this species, do they need heavily planted aviaries like blue faces or heavily brushed aviaries like for red faces?
I am also interested in keeping this species (also called Tanimbar parrot finches), & any info would be valued.
holtz

I Have 2 pair of tri coloureds they are so reclusive it's unbelievable but they don't interfere with the others so.............. would not know if they are nesting or not and I think they like it that way,mixed with blue cap,painted's,fires and Red Siskins
holtz

Regarding Red Faced finches I would say they are so far apart i'ts not funny,red face are always first at the wire looking for action tri colours are looking at me from a distance waiting for me to go away to get at the feed station.Would someone agree with that>
Finchy

holtz wrote:Regarding Red Faced finches I would say they are so far apart i'ts not funny,red face are always first at the wire looking for action tri colours are looking at me from a distance waiting for me to go away to get at the feed station.Would someone agree with that>
Yes! Same :). My Tris are the most cautious, the Goulds the boldest and the RFPFs the first to jump on any goodies.

I have a healthy pair of Tris who seem fine in the company of Goulds and Zebs, in so far as they get along and don't appear shy or stressed, but they have not bred yet. My instinct is that they would be much more likely to do so in a quieter environment.

I've also read, but have no idea whether it's true, that Tris need to be paired up quite young else they may never breed. I'm hoping it's not true, as my hen is on her second husband! They seem quite fond.
USAFinch

post some pictures please!
" You can't fix stupid"
bob21358

I have been trying to breed TCPFs for a couple of years now. Not much luck. Had a couple of chicks hatch but died fairly quickly. A few infertile clutches.

Everyone says TCFPs are shy - mine are not. They are my most active birds. Beautiful to watch. They are more active than my RFPFs.

I have swapped a cock bird to see what happens. Just hope the pair bonding doesn't take too long.
Interesting the new cock built a nest straight away. Also seems to spend some time in it. But the female is not showing much interest.

Oh well - such is birds.

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”