Breeding Tri Coloured Parrot Finches

Includes Species Profile
Finchman1

My pair have fledged 3 young a few weeks ago,it took them 2 nests to get it right they lost the previous nests they must of been young when I bought them
BOF33

Hi,

I purchased a pair of Tri-Colours two weeks ago with an extra cock to use for pairing up. I removed the extra cock after obvious bonding between one pair.
This pair has started to nest in an old Longtail nest, one week after the initial pairing up.

I plan to run 2 Cocks to 3 Hens in a mixed aviary.

The main aviary these birds will be housed in will have a constant supply of maggots and mini mealworms as live food. I know these birds can have dramas with being overweight, so this will be something I will monitor and hopefully will be able to keep on top of.

I will let you know of how this combination works or doesn't work in the coming months.

I would be Interested to know how people have been going this season with breeding these birds?

Also, where do most people purchase bulk quantities of Emu feathers, as I know these are a favoured nesting material for Tri-Colours.

Regards,

BOF
Alf63

For Emu feathers you could try

Free Range Emu Farm, Toodyay W.A. www.emufarm.iinet.net.au

They will send them out as they have them available.

Alf63
iaos

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=10052
Birds of a feather wrote:Hi,

I purchased a pair of Tri-Colours two weeks ago with an extra cock to use for pairing up. I removed the extra cock after obvious bonding between one pair.
This pair has started to nest in an old Longtail nest, one week after the initial pairing up.

The main aviary these birds will be housed in will have a constant supply of maggots and mini mealworms as live food. I know these birds can have dramas with being overweight, so this will be something I will monitor and hopefully will be able to keep on top of.

I will let you know of how this combination works or doesn't work in the coming months.

I would be Interested to know how people have been going this season with breeding these birds?

Also, where do most people purchase bulk quantities of Emu feathers, as I know these are a favoured nesting material for Tri-Colours.

Regards,

BOF
Craig52

Yes totally agree,forum members should use the forum merchandise and not put up web sites to by pass the forum,every little bit helps to keep this forum a great site. Cheers Craig
BOF33

iaos wrote:viewtopic.php?f=200&t=10052
Birds of a feather wrote:Hi,

Regards,

BOF
Thank-you guys for your info Re: Emu Feathers, although my main interest is in the topic of Breeding Tri-Colours, not so much the Emu feathers :thumbup:
BOF33

Any Tri-coloured breeders out there willing to offer some of their experiences and/or advice?

I'd be interested to hear what your experiences have been :thumbup:
Spitfire

Have 2 pair of tri colours. At the moment stopped breeding because of winter. Previously they had fledged 3 young each, one nest jumped a bit too early, 1 chick died.
found out there were ants in the nest. They tend to leave 2 or 3 large strands of nesting material hanging out of the nest boxes thats how I realise that some activty is going on.
From my observations they don't
keep their nest box very clean so I clean it out after the young have left the nest. I do supply plenty of maggots and mealworms and plenty of seeding grasses.
I find them a very active bird, chasing the hens or each other.
BOF33

Have 2 pair of tri colours. At the moment stopped breeding because of winter. Previously they had fledged 3 young each, one nest jumped a bit too early, 1 chick died.
found out there were ants in the nest. They tend to leave 2 or 3 large strands of nesting material hanging out of the nest boxes thats how I realise that some activty is going on.
From my observations they don't
keep their nest box very clean so I clean it out after the young have left the nest. I do supply plenty of maggots and mealworms and plenty of seeding grasses.
I find them a very active bird, chasing the hens or each other.

Thanks spitfire. Sorry for the late reply, I missed this one.

I have a trio of hens to two cock birds. Their first round two months ago resulted in 1 chick from each pair hatched, both perished, so I have put that down to fertility issues and being young parents. I have caught 1 cock bird and the 2 hens to check for obesity issues and found none.
I now have 2 hens out of the 3 on eggs/and nesting. Am hoping fertility is better this time round. One pair are due to hatch mid next week with the other 5-10 days behind. I will update if I find chicks fledged and on the perch.

How is everyone else going? :thumbup:
shnapper20

hi Im considering buying some of these, when I complete my next aviary. Just curious as to how you went bof33

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”