Breeding Tri Coloured Parrot Finches

Includes Species Profile
thill2

I'm having some difficulty breeding my TCPFs. I bought three young pair in June of 2015. One pair from one breeder and two pair from another breeder. I split up the one pair to make up 3 unrelated pairs the best I could. Lets call the pairs A,B & C. This is their breeding results.
A - fledged 3,4,3 nothing for the pass 6 weeks (having a rest I'd say)
B - abandoned 1, abandoned 3, 2, abandoned again.
C - nothing for 4 months, 2 young, abandoned 3. These are in a big aviary and its hard to see what they are up to.
(when I say abandoned in all cases the chicks are fully feathered and not far from leaving the nest)
I have thought about replacing the males of B & C with some of the young males I have breed. They all get maggots, mealworms, sprouted seeds etc .
Any comments would be appreciated.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If abandoned. ..something must be worrying them? Are they all in together? Mine choose their own partners. ..and are breeding now. ..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
thill2

They are in separate cages with other types of finches e.g Cordons, Diamonds, Pied Sea Green or Longtails. I have two pair in two different cages abandoning.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if they are raising young then I wouldnt change the pairs....could be lacking something in diet? another pair of birds (Diamonds? or Longtails? ) trying for their nest site? mice? cockroaches? all these will scare hens from nest..especially at night.... you just have to eliminate each thing... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”