Tricolors and humidity

Includes Species Profile
Wally Waxbill

Just a question on Tricolors. I get the idea that in Oz they appear to be bred quite easily? My question is whether they are bred just as well on the coast as inland. Over here they appear to be very hard to get breeding, and those that breed them well are mostly situated on the coast. Just curious...
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wally Waxbill wrote:Just a question on Tricolors. I get the idea that in Oz they appear to be bred quite easily? My question is whether they are bred just as well on the coast as inland. Over here they appear to be very hard to get breeding, and those that breed them well are mostly situated on the coast. Just curious...
They like to pick their own partners is what I found...put 6 or so in together (rung) and pick the ones pairing up..then put them in aviary by themselves....mine are on young as we speak.. :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Great advice VP and Wally most of Australia's population is on the coast the rest is desert. Craig
Wally Waxbill

Thanx guys. Have noticed some pairs are better than others, no doubt due to compatability. Will use your advise.
Tiaris

I know of one dry country breeder who used a trigger spray bottle to mist the nest chamber with a fine spray of water to increase humidity to improve hatchability rates. Before doing this he experienced high rates of dead-in-shell fertile eggs. So yes, humidity can be an issue with this tropical species. BTW his TCPFs always nested in nest boxes so it was relatively easy to do this. Mine don't, but fortunately I live in a coastal/humid area & they breed quite well for me especially in the warmer months.

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”