tri Coloured parrot finches, Saffron Finches

Includes Species Profile
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me again :)
I'd like any and all information anyone has on the two above species, I have a pretty good idea about Tri parrots, as I have looked after a few pairs for friends and thus done extensive reading about owning a pair :lol: but still anything would be great!
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
bleeding green

I know a breeder who has a number of pairs of safrons. He was doing quite well with them the last time I visited his aviaries. They are modest sized avairies. They are housed with various other species including siskins, gouldians, parrot finches and cordons. About 3 or 4 pairs per flight.
Dad has a pair of Tri coloured in an extra large breeding cabinet. They've built a nest but no eggs so far. They are kept in the indoor flight of his large aviary.

What exactly do you want to know?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks Bleeding green :D
just anything :D anything I can find out at all
Julian

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
Matt

I breed a few Tri-colours. Out of the 3 parrot finch species I keep, they are my favourites.

They don't hog live food like the others, even when feeding young. They have a much more basic diet than red faced do. Mine eat their finch mix, green panic, sprouted seed, green seed, leb cucumber and a couple of mealworms. Have offered termites and my soft food mix, but these have been ignored. Mine have always used boxes for nesting. Coarse grasses (especially the stalks of green panic and other seeding grasses they are fed)for the outside with a few feathers and november grass for lining.Some re-use the same nest all season, others make a new nest each clutch. I have found clutch sizes are smaller than the other parrot finches (3-4). I inspect all my parrot finch nests when in boxes and have never had a clutch deserted due to interference.Their mating ritual is also more civilised than blue or red faced. They spend the bulk of their time in the higher parts of the aviary and don't forage on the ground to the extent of red faced.

Anything else you need to know, just ask.
shox

Jayburd, Never had saffrons so cant help there but with tri coloured the most important factor that affects breeding is obesity. If possible have your aviary as wide as it is long, causing extra exercise. Put perches in each corner thus extra exercise. Tri coloured will not need live food for breeding, however when they have young in the nest you can give limited amounts of mealworms, I would recommend every second day, however what is important for breeding is greens. Variety is key as well. Limit packaged egg and biscuit, boil your own eggs. An overweight bird will have yellow orange colour on its belly, this is a good sign if not breeding. You will find there clutches are smaller (2-3) compared to the other parrot finches.
You will enjoy this bird, just remember keep them lean by feeding green and the results will be seen.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanks guys :D
Shox, thanks yes my aviary is alost as wide as long :) read a good piece on the importance on that by Graham **** in the australian aviary life magazine :D
Julian

dano_68

Tri’s are one of my ALL time favourite finches! Certainly my favourite PF, and I have RFPF and BLPF.

They are happy little things flitting here there and everywhere, not very still for very long. And yes, they are tiny – Ruddy size which is small for Parrot finches, but they have comical big feet.

Mine love climbing all over and eating from the different grasses I have growing in the flight. Like others have said they don’t really get stuck into the live food, but they love my green, power punch mix! (frozen peas, corn, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower all blended up then stripped green panic grass mixed in with a dash of wheat germ oil). This is then frozen and I give them a tablespoon a day – for everyone to share – but the Tri’s go straight for it and get the lions share. That’s ok because I never seen of a fat vegetarian yet lol…

They have a funny little shrill call and the pairs stick together quite tightly. They like to fly from one end of the aviary to the other - back and forth, back and forth – and they follow each other all the time.

Typical PF’s they love to bath and will do it a 2-3 times a day. But they usually take the lead of the RFPF when they go in for a dip. When it rains they like to cling onto the wire and drink the water droplets.

They can be a little nosey at times and stick their beaks into other birds nests just out of curiosity I am sure. In fact, if I walk up to the wire they will fly up to check me out – or to see if I have any treats for them lol. Other birds usually retreat to another perch further away.

There is absolutely no problem housing them with RFPF or any other finches for that matter. They tend to stick to themselves and do their own thing.

Mine use a half open nest box which I put a bit of November Grass in for them and they mainly just add feathers – lots of feathers lol. It’s hilarious watching a cock bird trying to lug a 15cm emu feather up and into the box. Mine average 3-4 chicks per clutch and they are very dedicated parents.

They have earned a full time place in this aviary and any future aviaries I may have. Yes, the species has earned a life membership! (considering how many finch species I have had over the years that is a big achievement ;)

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”