Tri color male dead

Includes Species Profile
monotwine

Ok I don't have much experience with the Tri's but recently got a pair to hold onto for a friend and one thing I've noticed is when they roost they go to nest and the male "guards" the nest enterence. If disturbed he flushes out first and the hen sits tight. Could your birds be doing something like this and then when disturbed at night and he is possibly either injuring himself or then being left out exposed to the cold?
Monique
shox

chillired,
please do not put on forum but PM me where you got your birds from, I live not too far away can give you a few tips what to look for and where to go certain birds from. Some of the shops get their birds from different states, different climate affects the birds. will help you identify those who sell local birds. In this case I believe you need to quarantine your birds for longer period, 3 days absolute minimum. Got many cats/possums about? There has also been strong cold winds last couple of days in sydney.
chillired

The breeder have replace the two tri color for me.
I have place a curtain one of those plastice one that you get from Bunnings stop the cold wind getting in.
So far all the birds are healty and happy.
I do believed it was the cold wind that got my birds.
thank you to all for your advices
garymc

Did you see him eating and drinking?

I found early on with tri-coloured parroties that they weren't the cleverest when it comes to finding the food and water dishes. What seemed obvious to me wasn't to them. Also having housed them as the only birds in the aviary with no other birds to guide them as such, maybe, just maybe the hen found the food or water, whilst the cock bird may not have.
E Orix

Birds with a small body weight can lose core temp. very quickly so you must be careful.
They will stress easily and unless they can go and hide or perch to their likeing they will once again get cold and die.
(Myzomela what is the body temp of a bird 103f does that sound right which means their body temp is quite abit hotter than ours)
You have done the correct thing in letting the birds go early in the day,never let them go in the PM.
Did they have easy access to water, feed they can pick up off the floor but unless they get to water they will keel over quickly.
They also could have become stressed if your set up was very different from where the came from. Always ask the seller.
Is your carrying box reasonably dark inside if not it should be as the subdued light helps calm them down.
I do not know what the temp was in your area but it may have contributed
In my opinion stress kills more of the smaller birds than every thing else I can think of.
Minimise the handling is so important,that is why I will not dose ,fiddle or hang around new birds I try to give them every opportunity to settle.
Others may dose, there and then but that is their method and choice.
I am sure someone else will think of another reason.
Myzomela

Hi EOrix,
You're right-Body temp of a finch is approx 40-42 deg C (104-107 degF);
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Tri Coloured Parrot Finch”