White Headed Nuns.

Includes Species Profile
Stavros01

One of the most beautiful birds, in my opinion.

Regards
Gustavo
Netsurfer

Hi poitta,
I once kept Nuns White-headed, Black-headed and the Three-colored Nuns, I always liked these birds but am reluctant trying again simply because they tend to strip leaves and consequently kill all the plants in the Aviary. I am not 100% sure is it all Nuns that do that or only some, have you ever noticed anything like that happening in your Aviaries?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Netsurfer wrote:Hi poitta,
I once kept Nuns White-headed, Black-headed and the Three-colored Nuns, I always liked these birds but am reluctant trying again simply because they tend to strip leaves and consequently kill all the plants in the Aviary. I am not 100% sure is it all Nuns that do that or only some, have you ever noticed anything like that happening in your Aviaries?
I have a pair of tri nuns and some fairly large grasses... Never noticed any stripping happening, in fact my nuns barely ever spend time on the floor with the plants, always preferring to stay up high I'm the shelter section.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Netsurfer I have noticed they do strip plants . Its mainly the tall clumps of guinea grass as they seem to use it for making nest sights within the clump of grass. But I would say no more than what star finches do as they can rip plants to pieces..

But as for all nuns in general I have no clue, at this point all I keep are white headed nuns and may be in the future tri coloured, so it could be good idea to have 2 set ups one planted and the other with plants/ grasses in pots to rotate the crop to see what happens ... pete
Tiaris

All 3 tend to strip greenery over time. Mostly new growth tips & seed heads. I've even had them strip the leaves off freshly cut prickly tea-tree where more than 1 pr per flight were housed. Just give them extra fresh greens is the best way to minimise damage to aviary plants.
Netsurfer

Ah well, I was worried about the Peach tree and Roses, who knows I may try again one day! :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad you were able to source some more Spanna. If I had the avairys these 6 would not still be for sale. But I know better than to mix them with my Bengos or Javas. And while they are not as exotic I love them so am keeping them.
LML
LML
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would a nun cross with a java?
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

According to some of the literature yes. Have not had it happen. I watch my Bengos and Javas very carefully to see that nothing undesirable is happening with them 2.
LML
LML
E Orix

It would be surprising for them to cross,the size difference wouldn't help even if they paired up.

I keep alot of Silver and Tri Nuns(not together) and I do not think they strip grass anymore than other birds.
They spend a huge amount of their time in the grass and will strip it for nesting.
Plant degregation in an aviary is generally a sign of not enough plants or too many birds and in some cases both.
The birds that will damage and eventually kill a schrub are Canaries and some European Finches.They simply keep eating the new leaf
buds and eventually if they do it too much the plant will die.

Return to “White Headed Nun”