Breeding boxes and nests

Ask your questions about breeding finches here.
fraudster

Hi all,

New to this forum, so I apologise in advanced if I post in the wrong section!
Anyway, I have a pair of St. Helena, Cordon Bleus, Parrot Finch, and Gouldian Finch. I have had success in breeding gouldians in nest boxes, but now I have shifted them into a new aviary - it is too much of a hassel to put nest boxes in there, so just wondering if wicker nests will do? And will the other finches use the wicker nests? If not, guess I'll just have to put nest boxes up one way or another!
Last edited by fraudster on 11 May 2016, 09:42, edited 1 time in total.
Craig52

fraudster wrote:Hi all,

New to this forum, so I apologise in advanced if I post in the wrong section!
Anyway, I have a pair of St. Helena, Cordon Bleus, Parrot Finch, and Gouldian Finch. I have had success in breeding gouldians in nest boxes, but now I have shifted them into a new aviary - it is too much of a hassel to put nest boxes in there, so just wondering if nest boxes will do? And will the other finches use the nest boxes? If not, guess I'll just have to put nest boxes up one way or another!
Not sure what you mean but gouldians 99% of the time will only use nest boxes or small hollow logs. Parrot finches will use nest boxes also, so supply 3 or four nest boxes for the gouldians to choose from. The other two species will build their own nest in the brush if supplied or cane baskets. Supply coarse and fine nesting grasses and a few feathers for the saints and cordons. Craig
matcho

Craig,

I do agree that nestboxes are preferred for goulds, but, this year haven't put them in. Have old brush for the stars and painteds. Have over 20 chicks (goulds) on the perch, and more coming. I suppose they are happy, but must admit they do use old star and painted nests and also nest along the wooden batons which make the base for the nest where the brush rest against it. They are funny birds. Am looking at the moment at a pair that are building a nest on the floor in a small wire cylinder that fell down. Go figure...Where there is a will there there is a way!

Anyhow Fraudster, put some solid boxes around, some cane baskets large and small hung around the place, at differing levels.Reckon all species you have will use them, just make sure distance between each is ok because the goulds and parrots can be aggressive around their nest.

Can you brush part of the aviary? If you can then do it, might help with the Cordons and the Saints.

Hope you do well.

I am no expert but think it should work.

Ken.
Tiaris

Of those species you will have most trouble convincing Saints to use any nest receptacle. Cordons may use cane nests sometimes but I have never had Saints use a receptacle of any kind over many years & hundreds of nests. They use either brush or grasses to nest in. PFs & Gouldians no problem.
fraudster

Sorry all i meant to say wicker nests!!
matcho

Fraudster,

Cane, wicker... the same thing. Go with the brush for the Saints especially.

Good luck.

Ken.

Return to “Breeding Finches”