I have my birds.... So happy.

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
toothlessjaws

painteds are the only natives that i keep (not at all because there is anything wrong with natives!). They are GREAT birds. I find them super placid, great breeders with striking pattern/colour. those black and white spots make a great contrast against most other finches.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two cocks? Unbelievable. I don't think anybody guessed that one right, we were all arguing over whether it was one hen or two -.-

(kaz, if you want to swap one for a hen, I have a handful of fully-coloured ones in the holding aviary)
E Orix

Not all, I suggested I would be buying them as cockbirds
toothlessjaws

ShaneGowland wrote:Two cocks? Unbelievable. I don't think anybody guessed that one right, we were all arguing over whether it was one hen or two -.-
tiaris also called it as 2 cocks.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well I admit to being wrong. Not very heavily red cocks but. Anyway there is some belief that cocks like this produce more daughters, so now you can test that theory out.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote:Well I admit to being wrong. Not very heavily red cocks but. Anyway there is some belief that cocks like this produce more daughters, so now you can test that theory out.
LML
So would the same go if heavily red? I find that very hard to believe... I have bred almost a 50/50 split in sexes last year (1more cock but then it was an odd number of young too) 13 hens/14 cocks ...I but it down to weather environment etc.... :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is a train of thought that says - high red = high male offspring and low red = high female offspring. Some say it is right some say it is wrong. Just an interesting opportunity to find out by keeping records. Have not tested the theory myself. And many like yourself say sex ratio has more to do with the feeding, weather, and timing of chicks. e.g. all the first round are one sex and all the 2nd round the opposite. There are lots of theorys, but if some people write down what they find some can be proved and some debunked. :think:
LML
LML
Tiaris

I bred them about as red as they come for quite a few years & sexes were roughly equal over many young bred.
Craig52

Have to agree with you Tiaris, your avatar says it all and you can control that by the hens spots i believe.

Fb, i think you are hearing what M.Fiddler said about his twin spots. The ugliest cock birds put to a quality hen produce a higher percentage of hens when quite the opposite happens when two quality birds are bred together. This was said as a response to other breeders breeding all cocks from their prs of which quite possibly could be the demise of the species in Australia.

As far as painteds are concern i'm with VP on that one. Craig

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”