Keeping them cool during this heat

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
kazfromadelaide

Little fluffy bum firetail. Chose prime possie in front of the fan
https://youtu.be/tlTuzbuP7Pk
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope you are being careful that they are just getting a couple of degree drop, not a chill. Draughts are dangerous to finches, and I know you just want the best for them.
LML
LML
mickenglish

I'm glad you posted that note of caution finchbreeder. Being new to this I was contemplating a small split system for the aviary to cover Summer and Winter extremes. I will go back to the drawing board.
Mick
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Second roof makes huge difference :thumbup: ..
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
mickenglish

What about misting nozzles? I could set something like that up on a timer. I also thought that for Winter maybe an electric oil filled radiator on a low setting covered by a box with 10mm holes bottom and top to allow airflow without the finches getting into the fins.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a large tree and shade sail over my avairys, and the water containers are auto filled twice a day at 11AM and 3PM - This restricts losses to the small nestbound young, as the adults go to ground and have fresh cool water to drink. So far we are having a mostly mild summer.
LML
LML
Darkangel1977

vettepilot_6 wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 20:06 Second roof makes huge difference :thumbup: ..
Have a 2nd roof panel over my aviary, wouldnt be without it. It is scary down here in melbourne though with our mid- high 40c summer days :cry:

My old gable roofed aviary had fence screening (twiggy fence stuff) on the roof to keep direct sun off, that also helped
2018-01-19 22.19.04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Our temps are not getting too high. High 30's only but the humidity for the last week has been like Bali. Thanks to the remnants of the passing cyclone that precipitated with enthusiasm as it went down WA getting wetter as it went. Sorry about that you finchos in the City but you can have all that excess soggy stuff.
LML
LML

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”