Opinions on green grasses/ seeding grasses?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
fraudster

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on green/ seeding grasses. I have recently discovered various places in which I can pick out a whole heap of panic veldt grass, and have been feeding it to my finches. I have purchased the book "What Seeding Grass Is That" by the ASA (thanks to the member who recommended - good and easy read), and have realised that many other grasses there are also suitable for birds/ finches. Was just wondering if there should be some sort of pattern in feeding the different sorts of grasses - i.e. just chuck a whole mix in there and let them sort themselves out, or is there some sort of unspoken guideline?

Cheers,
Will.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

the birds have a fair idea what is right for them!
problems may arise if they are starved of seeding grasses and then you supply the wrong stuff....it may be polluted/sprayed/contain ergot or rust which will affect the birds.
keeping up a daily supply is best, but also a challenge! especially during winter or dry periods.
country living is a help but I still have a freezer full of green panic to maintain supply when I cant find much(now).
poa annua is a great winter/spring treat for them if you can source it.
gouldians, munias etc will also eat wild oats at this time of year.
panic veldt will also provide them with a dry seed alternative and is worth supplying.
several species I find in pasture I have not identified but the finches soon indicate if they are suitable or not.
most end up in nests anyway...
I also give spinach, milk thistle and Lebanese cucumber daily which helps imo when I cannot find many seeding grasses.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it has seed heads, is a weed in your garden/lawn. Offer it and observe. If they eat it keep it up. Grow what you can in the garden/yard with retic. Bother having a fancy garden, mine is for me and the birds, not home beautiful. :silent: Though hubby occasionally puts his foot down and insists that I cull the stuff back a bit.
LML
LML
starman

As CC says above, avoid collecting grasses around public places where weed spraying may have occurred. Other things be to wary of, is collecting adjacent to busy roads where pollution from exhaust fumes and distillate particles is likely, and dog walking tracks where urination contamination may occur. If ever in doubt give the grasses a good soaking and shake the water off before feeding.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Tiaris

Green grass heads are like any other aspect of bird diet - the more variety offered, the more complete (nutritionally) is the diet.
shnapper20

I have purchased the book "What Seeding Grass Is That" by the ASA (thanks to the member who recommended - good and easy read),
asa standing for avicultral society of australia or australian seed authority ?
thanks john
shnapper20

fraudster I chased up your posts and found the recommendation so there is no need to reply thanks
roma9009

As said finches know what they can eat or not to some extent. Feed as much green seed as you can will put the birds in really good form for breeding

Return to “Diet & Food”