Do finches eat flies?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Tiaris

I have a mate with a native bee box in his green seed growing area. He had to put it in there as it has 6mm mesh around it & his niger flowers were not being pollinated. Small stingless native bee colony & problem solved. He has noticed wild birds predating some of them as they pass through the wire to & from outside & said they will leave the ones leaving the enclosure but take the "white-legged" ones (pollen & nectar laden ones) as they are returning - obviously sweeter & more nutritious.
arthur

Amazing how quickly birds learn . . :eureka:

Up this way Rainbow Lorikeets and Bluefaced Honeyeaters wait at the traffic lights for the bulk sugar trucks to stop, so that they can take the loose sugar . . flying off when the lights change to wait for the next one

"Beats Workin' Mate"
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I always have "fly traps" made of empty plastic fruit juice bottles with a couple of ice pick holes in them in the avairy. Just put any fruit and soft veges that are turning, into them. My Cuban cock in particular sits on them and pecks away. Though he sometimes seems to be trying to eat the maggotts on the insides of the plastic. :oops:
LML
LML

Return to “Diet & Food”