Water additives

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
mr skeeter

i also use multiclenc in my water for the birds and dog bowls with no problems alone with apple cider vinegar with the mother as graham and craig have mentioned once a week very good for gut health. cheers
STUART WHITING

I use Aviformes liquid calcium with added vitamin D3, the D3 helps the intestines of birds and because of this the calcium can then be absorbed into the body of the bird, without vitamin D3 the calcium simply will not absorb properly,

I give me birds a shallow dish of bath / drinking water everyday aswell as using 1 tubular drinka per cage as a backup in case they need more water,

On the day that I give me birds the calcium supplement I take out all bath dishes and only use the tubular drinkas,

During the non breeding season I admister the calcium once a week to all birds, during the breeding season I'll give it 3 times per week to breeding birds,

I mix this up at a ratio of 10ml by syringe to 1 litre of water.

Word of WARNING is that it's not advisable to give liquid calcium on a daily basis as this can actually be to much, to much calcium within a birds body can in affect hinder other bodily functions.

This is the only supplement that I use for me waxbills,

I found that by using crushed oyster shell and grated cuttlefish the birds were simply not getting the calcium they need, reason being is that over time I never hardly ever see me waxbills eating the oyster shell and cuttlefish and this to me was just a complete waist of time :roll:
Since administering the calcium liquid I now at least know that they are definitely receiving the calcium and vitamin D3 levels that they so importantly need :thumbup:

Be lucky
E Orix

Stuart well said, all makes sense
STUART WHITING

E Orix wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 07:38 Stuart well said, all makes sense
Cheers David :thumbup:

This is what I use

image.png
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vitavin D shortage would be a bigger problem in the UK than in the northern half of Aus. But otherwise good advice.
LML
LML
STUART WHITING

finchbreeder wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 13:50 Vitavin D shortage would be a bigger problem in the UK than in the northern half of Aus. But otherwise good advice.
LML
Yep yer right there :D

We obviously do get some real scorcher of sunny days throughout the summer here but the problem is that many of us keep our foreign finches in birdrooms aswell as outside flights and even if we've got untold amount of Windows in the birdroom the birds still won't receive the needed vitamin D3 from the sun because the glass from the Windows will stop the sun rays from penetrating through the glass, the only birds that will benefit from the sun are birds that are in outside avaires,

There are also days where the days are quite gloomy and I need to have me birdroom lighting on throughout the day aswell, this is one of the very main reasons why I now administer the calcium and D3 liquid supplement :thumbup:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

STUART WHITING wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 07:59
finchbreeder wrote: 18 Oct 2017, 13:50 Vitavin D shortage would be a bigger problem in the UK than in the northern half of Aus. But otherwise good advice.
LML

We obviously do get some real scorcher of sunny days throughout the summer here but the problem is that many of us keep our foreign finches in birdrooms aswell as outside flights and even if we've got untold amount of Windows in the birdroom the birds still won't receive the needed vitamin D3 from the sun because the glass from the Windows will stop the sun rays from penetrating through the glass, the only birds that will benefit from the sun are birds that are in outside avaires,

There are also days where the days are quite gloomy and I need to have me birdroom lighting on throughout the day aswell, this is one of the very main reasons why I now administer the calcium and D3 liquid supplement :thumbup:
Well I live inTropical Qld...and during winter I still give my inmates a liquid dose of Calcivet once a week...just to be sure ;-)
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
STUART WHITING

vettepilot_6 wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 19:33
STUART WHITING wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 07:59
LML

Well I live inTropical Qld...and during winter I still give my inmates a liquid dose of Calcivet once a week...just to be sure ;-)
Makes perfect sence Dave,

I certainly now wouldn't be without the stuff :thumbup:

Return to “Diet & Food”