Are sprouted seeds substitute for green seeds?

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
fraudster

Hi all,

Ever since I've started feeding my birds fresh green grass seeds, I've stopped feeding them sprouted seeds. I was wondering if i should continue to feed them sprouted seeds even if i have green seeds - is there any point, because i would assume they would both be nutritionally similar.

Cheers
BrettB

They are both of high nutritional value, but not quite the same.
Sprouted seed is in the process of germination, this means that some of the starches have been metabolised into other compounds.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
arthur

Probably splitting hairs . .

I am sure that if birds are getting either one . . or both . . they are well-served
STUART WHITING

arthur wrote: 03 Oct 2017, 21:52 Probably splitting hairs . .

I am sure that if birds are getting either one . . or both . . they are well-served
I'm also inclined to agree :thumbup:
Tiaris

I've always regarded sprouted seed as the thing to feed when seeding grass supplies become seasonally scarce - perfect substitute. Probably nutritionally different from the view of proportions of enzymes & nutrients but both are soft, palatable and very rich compared to dry seed so are very good rearing foods.
starman

Hi fraudster,

Those who promote the benefits of sprouts (for humans) tell us that it is the action of enzymes within the germination process that breaks down the stored starches and other components into more nutritionally beneficial (and easily accessible) sugars, amino acids, proteins and vitamins.
These are present in the seeds and half ripe seeding heads, but apparently, in a complex, less nutritionally accessible form.

It seems that my finches are not impressed with, or bothered by the science of this and tend to prefer one or the other, so providing both is probably good policy.

Some of my birds compete greedily for the seed heads while others seem to go exclusively for the sprouted seed.

On occasion, when no green seed is available, all of them seem happy to take sprouted seed above all else.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Diet & Food”