Collecting green seeding grasses

For all your questions about diet and food for your finches
Darkangel1977

Hello, i live in the eastern suburbs of melbourne and i try where possible to collect a variety of seeding grasses for my gouldians to munch on. As my wife likes to "weed" i fairly quickly run out of grasses on my property i know are safe ( weed killer free etc ), i also collect from friends houses as i know they do not spray there weeds with anything. At the moment im struggling to get sufficiebt for my birds, so my question is - does anyone know some safe collection areas here in the east where the public/private property is pesticide and weed killer free? While there is an abundance around im always paranoid of collecting from "council" parks etc incase of poisons. Any help would be much appreciated :thumbup:
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
matcho

Darkangel,

I hear what you are saying, had a bit of an issue a couple of years ago but got talking to the caretaker/council employee of a local park and told him my woes. Problem fixed, pointed me in the direction where areas of the park were and weren't sprayed. Another thing you might try is if you have a local golf course, speak to the workers there, you may be pleasantly surprised as they like to keep everything green and alive.

Hope this helps, good luck

Ken.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Get to know the older people in your street/neighbouthood, who would be happy to have a visitor to help with a little weeding now and then.
LML
LML
elferoz777

Its funny isnt it?

Considered as weeds by many but try and grow the bloody stuff.....not easy
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh I don't know. My backyard is proof that grass and "weeds" can grow well and take over a nice section of yard. Though hubby will insist on restricting my "garden" :parp:
LML
LML
fraudster

too bad youre out in the east - im on the west! collected grass 20 mins ago, spent 10 mins picking grass and lasts me the whole week!
matcho

One other thing I forgot to mention is that when collecting your seeding grass don't overlook the dandelion and milkthistle. Rinse it and it keeps in the crisper in the green veggie bags you get from the local greengrocer or veggie sections of Woolies/Coles. The birds (mine especially) love it!

Ken.
Darkangel1977

Thanks guys. Yes definetly dont neglect the thistle stuff and dandelions. I have anothher topic now with sum pics of some of the seeds i pick. Would love peoples feedback. Thanks all!
Darkangel1977

Topic is under DIET/FOOD

Return to “Diet & Food”