Favourite Aussie Finch and Why?

Need some general finch keeping help? Ask your questions here.
shnapper20

Blackhearts (WA shaft-tail) because they breed so easily in colonies and are hilarious when it comes to spotting snakes and lizards.
I went out to the aviary one day and every blackheart was sitting on one perch at the end. They were all looking at the ground, classic heads down bums up scenario. And they were all making this beep beep noise. I walked over to them and a few looked over to me then looked back down and more beep beep noises. I looked down and there was a bobtail lizard (shingleback) outside the aviary just sunbathing and warming up. But the birds knew it was there and gave it a hard time. It was hilarious to watch and went on for over half an hour :) Meanwhile most of the other birds didn't give a hoot and simply went about their own business.
that would have been funny to see
starman

Rod_L wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 11:11
They were all looking at the ground, classic heads down bums up scenario.
(...at the risk of getting off-topic).... my ruddies do this whenever any predator comes into view.They freeze during the threat and for an unnecessarily long period after the threat has passed. Other aviary inhabitants ignore both the 'frozen' ruddies, and the potential threat.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
matcho

Painted's, hands down. When it comes to character I reckon they are unbeatable. They, to me are like puppies, just want attention and show no fear. As for their call and song, what more could you want, like little robot toys! l Every morning at feeding time I have to physically push them away from my hands when I am changing water. I reckon if I left the feeding door open they would follow me, they are just a precious little thing and good lookers to boot!

Ken.
collector_and_buyer

The humble Plum Head.Very placid,they don't bother or annoy anyone,funny to watch when the male has a length of grass in his beak and is bobbing up and down to his hen.They also seem to have a "mad" minute where they belt around the aviary making a whirring sound with their wings.Easy to breed and their subtle colours are quite pretty when you really look at them.Found them to be great parents as well.
CathyCraftz

I adore zebbies as they have very colourful plumage (though not as vibrant as the Gouldian) and the males' song. I currently have two female zebra finches, and although they squabble sometimes they are really interesting to watch.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Finch Discussion & Questions”