Unwell female Star Finch

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
mickenglish

I acquired a pair of Star finches a few weeks ago and from the outset, the female has been a bit lethargic and often just sits alone, sometimes with feathers fluffed up. She feeds and drinks OK but then usually goes back to just sitting alone on a perch. Can anybody offer any advice about what I should be doing?
Regards
Mick
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is your avairy cooler than where she comes from? Is there a nice warm spot she can sit in first thing in the morning? Change of environment sometimes needs adapting to. Possibly a nice warm light overnight if you are having cool nights, which seems not too likely at this time of year? But sometimes the winds are cold and need blocking?
LML
LML
mickenglish

Thanks, Finchbreeder. For the first 2 weeks, they were in a cage on our dining table where the temp is usually held at about 25 deg. Now they are in the aviary which gets up to 34 deg during the day. Evenings are probably in the mid-20s. I note that they roost right up in the pitch of the roof of a night if that means anything. They get good morning and afternoon sun, of which they all seem to take advantage. I have just installed Bistro blinds to close the winds out. Should I consider putting her in a cage with water supplements such as Spark?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds off colour. .heat first and foremost hospital cage with only front open. ..34c...Then spark...and faecal sample off to vet 👍
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
arthur

34 sounds a bit too warm ??

30 -32 . .

Different opinions on this I guess

Not trying to be a prophet-of-doom but don't be surprised if you lose her, despite your best efforts

And not trying to put you off attempting treatment, as it is all experience / learning
mickenglish

Thanks folks. I have a feeling that she won't make it but I feel obliged to do what I can. I'll try a hospital cage, Spark and warmth.
charlton

Sounds like enteritis from eating too many greens. Put a small amount of epsom salts in her drinking water and do not feed her any greens.
regards
Chris
mickenglish

It has been a few weeks now and she is still extant and not looking any worse so maybe she is just a lethargic bird, I can relate to that. In fact, she appears to have bonded with the cock. Perhaps I was just worrying too much. Thanks all for the inputs.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad to hear that all is well and they are making nice. :thumbup:
LML
LML
mickenglish

I dosed the aviary with Spark and she perked right up, since then she has gone into a nest and only comes out to feed, so I guess she's sitting on eggs.

Return to “Finch Health”