Is avimec the stuff to use

Is your finch sick or not well? Find out why.
Ballsy

avimec the stuff to use ????

Post by Ballsy » 57 minutes ago

Howdy, l bought some Avimec recently after reading that it was good for scaly mites and air sac mites.
Is this the best stuff to use, seems to me the gouldians get stressed after being chased around the aviary , l did read about all these other treatments that you add to there water but not available in aussie, funny thing was some were made here but you couldnt buy them ???
Can anyone tell me if or what to buy to do the same job rather than adding a drop of avimec to the birds thigh.any help would be appreciated. I did try to search here for something but couldnt find anything....thanks
BrettB

A lot of people use Moxidectin.
Will be lots of posts if you search for that

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
Rod_L

Ivermectin is the one I use. Talk to your bird vet and add it to their water. It can also be applied to their body (back of the neck) and it works on internal and external parasites.

When treating for parasites you need to treat regularly for a period of time. I normally do weekly for 4 weeks. That kills of any eggs that might hatch further down the track.

I also use Ivermectin on all new birds as soon as I get them. They are kept in a quarantine cage for 2-4 weeks before being added to the main aviary.

lol, Just googled Avimec and it is Ivermectin :)
death to all cats & ants
Ballsy

Thanks guys l will check it out, no bird vet dowm here 200 k,s south of Perth thats why l bought the avimec because l could buy online, ok so use it up or chuck it straight away ????
Craig52

Any amount left over can be stored in a fridge to up to double its shelf life. Craig.
Rod_L

Ballsy wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:52 Thanks guys l will check it out, no bird vet dowm here 200 k,s south of Perth thats why l bought the avimec because l could buy online, ok so use it up or chuck it straight away ????
keep it in the fridge as suggested by Craig, and use it when needed.
death to all cats & ants
wagga

Moxidectin Plus can be brought through this forum. Cheaper than purchasing at a shop.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Stu

certainly don't
chuck it straight away
It is a useful product.

As you will see on the product it is as Rod_L stated Ivermectin which is/was the parasite treatment of choice in days gone.
Moxidectin seems to be the choice at the moment.

The reason for other products being available overseas is because they have been registered as a treatment for that parasite on birds.
If you are treating for scaly face mite and/or air sack mite I would stick with the product you have. Avimec is an Ivermectin, Benzyl alcohol mix and is for the outside of the bird.

If you intend to add a product to their drinking water as suggested be advised that these are not registered products for birds and come as a ‘pour on’ product for on the animal and a drench for in the animal.
Moxidectin Plus via this forum as wagga mentioned is a drench (add to drinking water) product.
Darkangel1977

I use Moxidectin Plus also. Have found it to do the job with no problems
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rod_L wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:45 Ivermectin is the one I use. Talk to your bird vet and add it to their water. It can also be applied to their body (back of the neck) and it works on internal and external parasites.

When treating for parasites you need to treat regularly for a period of time. I normally do weekly for 4 weeks. That kills of any eggs that might hatch further down the track.

I also use Ivermectin on all new birds as soon as I get them. They are kept in a quarantine cage for 2-4 weeks before being added to the main aviary.

lol, Just googled Avimec and it is Ivermectin :)
Ivermectin doesn't really work in water...hard to mix...its mainly a topical use for it...moxidectin plus is water soluble 😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Finch Health”