Musk Lorikeet aggression

Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a pair of Musk Lorikeets, which have a reputation for being a relatively placid bird (a long time ago I kept one with my finches and had no problem). Unfortunately my current pair are quite aggressive and I've had to separate them from the Plum Heads I had them housed with.

Do you think this aggression would also occur if I introduced a second pair of Musk Lorikeets? I've seen them bred in colonies before, but I don't want to risk adding more birds if my original pair are going to be too aggressive. Could their aggression towards the Plum Heads just be xenophobia? Or are my lorikeets just complete asses?
Craig52

ShaneGowland wrote:I have a pair of Musk Lorikeets, which have a reputation for being a relatively placid bird (a long time ago I kept one with my finches and had no problem). Unfortunately my current pair are quite aggressive and I've had to separate them from the Plum Heads I had them housed with.

Do you think this aggression would also occur if I introduced a second pair of Musk Lorikeets? I've seen them bred in colonies before, but I don't want to risk adding more birds if my original pair are going to be too aggressive. Could their aggression towards the Plum Heads just be xenophobia? Or are my lorikeets just complete asses?
Hi Shane,i thought it was a no no to house any specie of parrot together,especially during their breeding season.Imo the Musk lorikeets can be housed together but you still need a large aviary so they can get away from each other.Lorikeets in general are communal but they are always aggressive and squawking at each other when feeding. Craig

Return to “Parrots”