wow

arthur

iaos

Already dropping in price ;-)

The birds offered last year were $95k each.
finchbird2015

Say what!!! $160,000 for a pair of birds then insurance on top of that yikes! Could buy and build wonderful setup for finches with that amount. :crazy:
Wiper

Stunning but would still rather a few pairs of Yellow-tailed Blacks!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Round here I could possibly talk the guy over the back into selling me an extra 300/400sqmtrs of land for that. And think of the extra avairys I could put on it.
LML
LML
casehulsebosch

Exquisite and rare species never even make an auction site or sales in Europe.

Straight from the breeder to the Middle East.

cheers, Case
arthur

Sadly, a lot of E&R species in Oz go offshore as well . .

A lutino Blue & Gold (bred here) was rumoured to have gone to Holland . .

Case, you may know more about that . .
arthur

This was sent to me by a mate . .

Interesting read, and obviously applies to exotic finches and softbills as well

THIS IS AN E-MAIL FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE PARROT SOCIETY OF AUSTRALIA..SHARED HERE WITH HIS PERMISSION. THOSE OF YOU THAT DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE IMPLICATIONS OF BEING IN POSSESSION OF EXOTIC BIRDS THAT CAN NOT BE TRACED BACK TO BEING OF 'LEGAL STATUS'.....NEED TO READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY

I have had some of these posts from Facebook forwarded onto me. I don’t involve myself with Facebook at all, however I feel that some of the statements that have been made below require some clarification.

I continue to remain very disappointed in what appears to be a very distinct lack of knowledge amongst some exotic bird holders in this country, most particularly in those matters that concern or revolve around the legality of some of these species. It’s my view that some have chosen to either ignore or have not done what I call their due diligence in terms of seeking counsel or good quality advice before rushing in and parting with what in some cases would be very substantial sums of money in purchasing some of these species.

I wish to make the following points to those that are genuinely unaware, and remind those that have previously been made aware, but for reasons known to themselves, chosen to ignore the following

Potential purchasers and holders should make themselves familiar with the EPBC Act (1999) and in particular the clauses that need to be clearly understood: There is a Reverse onus of proof contained in the legislation, which basically requires what the Act describes as the Possession Holder to be able to prove the specimen (animal/bird etc) or its parentage back to legal import.

It is NOT the Departments problem to prove in court that the animal is illegal, IT IS ILLEGAL unless that above can be proven. In the event that a departmental officer issues paperwork to put a seizure notice on the animal/s, then the Possession holder has 28 days to prove legality of the bird. This is an anti smuggling clause that was inserted into the legislation. What some of the posters fail to understand is that NEBRS was basically a census of what was in captivity.

During EBAG meetings, senior departmental officers stated that registration under NEBRS did not legalise the bird, however the consensus was that those holders that held the species registered those species in good faith and the Department would accept that those holders had done the right thing and as it says, the Department accepts that those species were in fact here. Just because the Department acknowledged that the species was held here in Australia by a very few individuals does not then provide carte blanche legality for all those that have followed, if you understand what I am meaning.

The issue that I was commenting on in the Sept/Oct issue of Parrot News in the From the Presidents report was this: there is of late, very strong anecdotal evidence that significant numbers of Hyacinth macaw eggs (amongst apparently other species as well) have been finding their way into incubators (apparently from the Philipines) in the past few months with the general availability of young Hyacinths (which up until very recently been exceedingly rare), all of a sudden popping up in many different areas, with offers of youngsters apparently by people ‘in the know’ becoming common.

I was simply advising or reminding members that they should ALWAYS do their very robust due diligence before making any sort of purchasing commitment. To those people that say: Well the Department has been doing nothing, apparently sitting on their hands), I cannot comment on what the Department is or is not doing, - simply because I do not know, however I think that its timely to remind people of the following:

1. There is no statute of time limitations (to prosecute) under the Act. One of the senior investigators told the EBAG members at one meeting we had with him, that if they choose to, they can go back 20/30yrs or longer to bring charges if they wish.

2. New German DNA technology (this was in 2008) could prove parentage with an accuracy of 1 in 1billion. I am sure that a court of law, would convict on those odds.

My view remains that just because the Department is seen to be doing nothing, doesn’t mean it isn’t or won’t pursue illegal birds in the future....
What I was commenting on in the Presidents report was the statement in writing in no less than 3 places in the article to which I referred that Hyacinth Macaws were legally imported.

1. Prior to the 1992 ban on exporting Hyacinth Macaws from South America, there were less than six unrelated Hyacinth Macaw pairs legally imported into Australia “ fact is, no Hyacinth Macaws were EVER legally imported “ no import permits were ever issued either prior to or during the period of Legal import into Australia (1992-1995).

2. Since legal importation of the Hyacinth Macaw into Australia ceased....

3. Since the legal importation of the Hyacinth macaw into Australia, there have been many efforts... Later in the same paragraph that word ‘legal’ is used once again...... Fact is, that given that the Department has not issued a Legal import permit for the import of this species and there has been a ban on the import of Psittacines into Australia since 1948 (and from NZ in 1959), it is simply false to make the constant claim that this species has been legally imported into Australia.

I will have to check the NEBRS record, however if my memory serves me correct, 12 Hyacinths were registered under NEBRS 11 males and 1 female concerning this fact, the statement was made by a very senior departmental officer during EBAG meetings that therefore its exceedingly unlikely that any young Hyacinth macaws (that were rumoured to be around at that time) had been ‘legally bred’, ie, they were smuggled.

Oh, and it was commonly believed by people ‘in the know’ at the time of NEBRS registration that approximately another 12 birds (Hyacinths) were in the country but the holders chose NOT to register them.....

Given the passage of time, what I believe we are witnessing now, is a deliberate attempt to muddy the waters by some with their own agendas or vested interests, to make these claims.

What is very wrong is we now have a situation where buyers are purchasing.

As to the posts below, I fully agree with Joanne Johnson and for the large part Matt Hamiltons post as well, although this: that when nebrs was installed it was in effect a clean slate to nominate what you had and it would become registered (hence legal) . . . the "hence legal" is an assumption that is technically incorrect. (in my view).

In all of the above, people have to remember to not shoot the messenger (I didn’t write the Federal legislation) and to not only insist on documentation and paperwork, (at the very minimum an MTR or similar), but in the case of the species in question here, a phone call to the Department prior to purchase, to see what the Departments attitude is regarding the sale/purchase of this species.

I have spoken recently to other members of the EBAG as well as several others that were involved with the legal import of macaws into Australia during the 1992-95 period and they all concur with my views. Most have said that they are appalled at what is occurring out there.

May I leave you with the following:.............. 'All Lies and Jests’ Still a man hears what he wants to hear, And disregards the rest' The Boxer Simon & Garfunkel

Cheers,
Stewart
zippo625

A query regards macaws... is a permit required to keep on in Queensland? Appreciate a reply from anyone with some knowledge of the regulations.
Thanks in advance
noah.till

zippo625 wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 22:28 A query regards macaws... is a permit required to keep on in Queensland? Appreciate a reply from anyone with some knowledge of the regulations.
Thanks in advance
No permits required for macaws in QLD thankfully
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “Parrots”