Scarlet Young

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay all you parrot people. .is there a way to sex young scarlets aprox 1 week out of the nest or do I have to wait till they start to colour up? Or do I pluck a couple of chest feathers to see if next lot are red? Thoughts? :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
jonno0383

I've not tried to pluck so that may work but I have had it similar to young hooded's where the blue on the face is richer on the male than the hen. I always prefered to wait to be 100% sure though
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jonno0383 wrote:I've not tried to pluck so that may work but I have had it similar to young hooded's where the blue on the face is richer on the male than the hen. I always prefered to wait to be 100% sure though
Thanks Jonno383...someone on another forum said cocks are different under the wings? mine must be all one sex because I cant see any differences :problem: :lol:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

Yes all the young have a wing stripe but in young cocks it disappears when they moult out. Plucking is the best as in young gouldians or the blue on the young cocks head is brighter and more of it but some exceptional young hens can look like they could be cocks also. Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig52 wrote:Yes all the young have a wing stripe but in young cocks it disappears when they moult out. Plucking is the best as in young gouldians or the blue on the young cocks head is brighter and more of it but some exceptional young hens can look like they could be cocks also. Craig
Ahhh thanks Craig. ..I think this lot maybe all cocks as from my memory as a boy the blue on these is very bright compared to any hen I can remember. ..but as I haven't had these for many many years I could be wrong too lol...I think I will pluck a couple of feathers and see what pops up lol

Return to “Parrots”