Bad news regarding Orange Bellied Parrots

SamDavis

Here's a bit of an argument starter!

Can I make it clear up front that I agree with everyone's sentiments that the OBPs have been outrageously mismanaged. There is no doubt in my mind that private aviculturists would have done an outstanding job and still could. Issues such as the rats and the more recent bacterial problems may well occur at a single private premises from time to time but having the birds spread in separate collections would obviously minimise the severity of such events. And how you don't discover such an issue until over a dozen birds have died is beyond comprehension.

HOWEVER
What has aviculture actually done to promote the above possibility?
Have parrot clubs written submissions?
Have they filled out proposal forms?
Have they lobbied politicians?
The only person I know who has done any of this with OBPs is Daniel Gowland and that is central to why his PRIAM facility is now breeding OBPs. It is unreasonable to expect government departments to approach us unprompted. We need to stand up and sell ourselves to the government. And we must do the paperwork.

The FSA has a number of initiatives underway to try and advance the "threatened species and private aviculture" cause. Wouldn't it be great if all avicultural clubs got involved in similar programs. In addition, I feel strongly that threatened species work will be our saviour against the animal rights nutters.

Rant over!
Sam
E Orix

Point taken Sam but way way back there were serious attempts to get OBP into private hands and were
let known quite strongly that the so called Govt experts would not even consider the process.
I should also point out, at that stage they were far more common and quite accessible.
Clubs and individuals have been fighting the dept.s since the 1950's it's never easy.
arthur

Clubs and individuals have been fighting the dept.s since the 1950's it's never easy

Getting way off topic . . but a book could be written on the intransigence of governments, and the attitudes of their various agents towards birdkeepers . . and perhaps it should be

Have they filled out proposal forms?
Have they lobbied politicians
?

I still have a letter written by a cabinet minister, in reply to a submission, telling me in no uncertain terms that HE and not birdkeepers would decide what birds would be kept in Qld

Those were the days of a 'little Hitler' who would come to inspect aviaries, singing to the tune of "Nuts in May" . . . "Somebody's gunna get booked today!"

As E orix points out; they were the enemy, they had the power, and they used it :silent:

And in most states . . They still are :shifty:

Perhaps that's where Fred Lewitzka went wrong in 1973 . . He should have written a submission :lolno:
Craig52

Agree with E Orix and Arthur, Sam, consultation with the Government has taken place over many years and they virtually tell you to get stuffed.
It is 100% worse now with the attitude of young politicians these days that have been bought up as dominanting, spoilt, undisciplined brats who say do as your're told as i'm in charge as you have seen recently with our State Government Sam.
Daniel Gowland is a very lucky person to able to keep and breed OBP's , i wonder if he has mates in the coustarpo?? (spelling) :silent:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with you Sam.
But it would help if both sides could see each other as an opportunity for success, rather than an enemy to be fought.
Maybe being a West Aussie country girl has me spoilt. Got my licence because of a very helpful CALM officer smoothing the way. He was a mate of Dad's who knew I grew up with birds. He has since retired.
LML
LML
E Orix

LML you obviously were not keeping birds in the early 80's, yes a long time ago.
Your state dept. nearly destroyed Aviculture totally when they commissioned
John Long to do a study and eventually print his findings(Introduced Birds of the World).
From that publication we looked like being hit with the Vertebrate Pest Act.
The publication was taken far too seriously and the Text Book Jockeys had a field day.
Australia was going to be over run by millions of birds and our crops would be eaten.
While I was quite wary of some of her actions and motives a Sydney lady called
Barbara Deveny rallied the people in NSW, and the major Avi Clubs of the day formed together.
We even had a protest on the steps of a town hall in Sydney. I can't remember where
but I flew up and spoke as well as the front person for the RSPA, head of Worths Circus
etc. Harry Butler joined in and assisted. Even the author changed his out look yet we
were lucky weight of numbers eventually won out and an election was close.
Just for interest, the book stated that here in Australia
96 specie of birds were introduced
32 species were definitely established
12 species were probably established
52 species probably or failed
Ducks, Turkeys and Chickens were established introductions as well as Zebra Finches being
released on Kangaroo Island plus others which totally distorted the situation.
The book is interesting reading and really shows how numbers can be twisted to suit someone
with an agenda.
The fight goes on and we are really fortunate Sam has become so involved
Zippythedoublebar

One word: Incompetence I recon I would be able to breed them no problems I've been breeding Finches for 4 years ish only had a single adult die on me, a gouldian.

maybe years ago if they let private more experienced breeders "breed" them things would have been better 400 birds left, Wow I'm just ashamed I would have them in aviary of about 2, 4 or 6 at the most and I would seperate the aviary so disease can't spread....... we won't know for a while but taroona might have wiped out the whole entire population of wild parrots good on ya guys.....
50 Zebras 6 different mutations 1 pair of Cordon Bleus 1 pair of Gouldians 30 King and Button Quail 6 pairs of Society Finches a pair of double bar finches a pair of Red browed Finches a pair of diamond doves and 2 pairs of red faced parrot Finches.
Hoping to get turquoise parrots tri coloured parrot Finches diamond firetails and more Zeb mutations
Zippythedoublebar

Moderators can we move this to the Political section
50 Zebras 6 different mutations 1 pair of Cordon Bleus 1 pair of Gouldians 30 King and Button Quail 6 pairs of Society Finches a pair of double bar finches a pair of Red browed Finches a pair of diamond doves and 2 pairs of red faced parrot Finches.
Hoping to get turquoise parrots tri coloured parrot Finches diamond firetails and more Zeb mutations
arthur

Sam was playing 'Devil's Advocate' and no disagreement on my part with any of his great contributions to 'the game' . . I just hope that he doesn't burn himself out

I recall, years ago, the WA authorities(?) banning the import of Green Strawberries . .

On the grounds of their being a possible threat to the rice industry :eh:

AND

That it was very likely they would hybridise with the 'endangered' Gouldian Finch :o

While decisions like that may come from ignorance rather than hostility . .

"Whether the elephants are making love, or making war, matters little to the ants . ."

Must have changed their minds later, as WA resident was among the last to keep GS's

Off topic . . maybe just a tad :silent:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LML you obviously were not keeping birds in the early 80's, yes a long time ago.
Unlicenced stuff since the late 70s licenced since the late 80s. Just missed the major kerfuffle. But remember the fuss over Javas going to ruin the fledgling rice industry in the Ord valley. Which they never got right till some Germans came in and got involved. But that is another story.
And another story that HB was an old school friend of Mums.
LML
LML

Return to “Parrots”