Nyasa Lovebirds - New species for me - hints?

Tiaris

They're going well thanks. I got 3pr of them. Wormed them prior to putting them in their aviary, gave a choice of budgie boxes & neophema ones, feeding them dry seed + daily sprouted seed & grass heads + little pieces of apple, carrot & broadleaf greens as available, initially offered whole cane palm fronds which they weren't interested in so then just cut the leaves of fresh ones with scissors & they go for them. They are currently busily placing these into boxes (both types) so this looks promising. If/when they have young I'll add peas & corn to the sprouted seed.
Nye

Hi, I had normals for a number of years sold all of them off about 2 years ago I cage bred them at first not a success better results in a 3x3 aviary . If your birds are true to type they should have a green rump and tail. I fed them plain canary,white millet,jap millet & red panicum in separate hoppers.Small amount of safflower and Oats were fed in winter & when they had young. All of the above was also fed sprouted on a daily basis when they had young and only twice a week when they did not have young. Seeding grass,which they also used for nesting material, I didn't bother with the palm fronds even though I have date palms in the yard; and Milk thistle. Don't let them get fat or you will have lots of clear eggs. My boxes were mounted at the same height along a 3 meter side wall and a 3 meter back wall and the boxes measured 300mm long x 200w x200H top hinged . Good luck with them they are a lovely bird.
Tiaris

They are pure normals - green rump, tail & small size.
I'm only giving them finch mix with no oilseeds at this stage to avoid any obesity.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

hookbills!!!!
tiaris....what has come over you!! :shock:
what was the name of this forum again?? that's right Aussie FINCH Forum!!

Sorry rant over now.... :angel:

good luck with those quirky little guys....watch your fingers when handling them!!

pics would be good.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
Tiaris

Its ok, they are nowhere near the finch aviaries.
Bite less than a Blue-faced PF too.
toothlessjaws

Tiaris wrote: 04 May 2017, 08:50 Its ok, they are nowhere near the finch aviaries.
Bite less than a Blue-faced PF too.
off topic (or back on considering its a FINCH forum ;-) ), but i had a tri-coloured parrotfinch who was such a good biter he would regularly draw blood, yet oddly, i find my red faced don't bite at all!
Tiaris

I think Tri-colours are just as enthusiastic biters as Blue-faced but their smaller size generally affords them less biting power.
driver

Hi, I am from South Australia , a friend and my self are looking to keep these birds unfortunately they are very rare over here we cant find them any where . Are there many around interstate and the big question is there any for sale. Thanks driver

Return to “Parrots”