Strange Scarlet Behaviour

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just gave my birds some leafy green grass and the hen scarlet just started chewing the middle till it bent in half lengthwise and stuff them in her rump feathers like a peachface does. ..anyone seen this before? ?? :crazy:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
branchez

vettepilot_6 wrote: 06 May 2017, 08:54 Just gave my birds some leafy green grass and the hen scarlet just started chewing the middle till it bent in half lengthwise and stuff them in her rump feathers like a peachface does. ..anyone seen this before? ?? :crazy:
Have seen my hens do this many times,usually when they are nesting and on eggs.I have this theory that they are doing this to get some moisture into the nest to help with the hatching of chicks.Probably wrong,just my opinion.
Jack
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She has eggs... but strange to see her fly to box wearing a tutu :lol:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Tiaris

I had hens do it & mostly noticed it after they had soaked greens in the water bowl (which they love to do), so I assumed it was to add some humidity to the nest chamber,
Mycoola

Probably because they are from dry area's, haven't seen mine do it but.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We are in Bundaberg area..not known for its dryness. ...
Mycoola

Probably instinct from when they were from desert area's. Lovebirds have been bred in aviaries for generations and still do it, no real need so has to be instinct.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Strange because many many years ago I bred these and turqs in Mackay and never seen any of them do it. ...

Return to “Parrots”