Eastern rosellas mutations

Mycoola

Went to the Fairfield bird sale on sunday, bought 2 red lizard canaries and a pr of Easterns.
Couldn't help myself, only wanted the hen but seller wouldn't seperate. My mate who went with me and also breeds Rosellas said on the way back i will swap you a Eastern Rosella young cock for a normal scarlet chested hen, i bred a nice pure normal last season.
The cock Eastern from my mate is normal split dilute,black, lutino , red.
The pair i bought normal cock split red, cinnamon. The hen is red (opaline) split dilute,black.
Will swap cocks .
The other cock that i bought will put with a straight red hen.
I also have another pair that bred 3 cock birds last season for their first attempt, he is cinnamon split red, lutino and she is normal split black..
He was originally bought with a rubino hen that i lost also in the same season lost a rubino cock, both broken necks from goshawk attacks, i hate them with a passion as always seem to single out the easterns in the avairies. Years ago lost a breeding pr, lutino cock, normal hen 3 lutino young hens and a 2 split cocks over 3 days to broken necks all from a goshawk, saw him coming low over the fence when lost second last one and hit the wire at front of avairy full speed. No wonder the easterns were hitting the back wall so hard and breaking necks :hothead:
Hope i have better luck this season coming, and have the possibility to breed some great colour combos.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you thought of putting brush on the back wall to soften the impact? And some form of screen e.g. latice at the front to discourage the hawks?
Good luck with your breeding program.
LML
LML
Mycoola

Season going ok, 2 pairs of mutation Easterns have 2 chicks each growing well, 3 pr first clutch infertile, jave gone again.
Pure pale head pr sitting on eggs (white head pair).had another pr (gold head ) lost hen. Also will be soon getting another pr of gold headed pale heads.
Also picked up pair of blue cheeks, not blue backed, but have straw coloured heads and back, from research look more like cape york area blue cheeks.if get any young this will help determine if yes cape york blue cheeks. Where they come from he did have blue backs as well.would love to also get Townsville area blue cheeks, they have gold heads and mantle. Amazing how much they varyin colour depending on area. Easterns are the same , our local wollondilly ones have very green mantles , my 2 split males have gold mantles, but they are not golden mantle rosellas, as no blue in rump.
My pr of red wings layed 3 eggs but didn't sit, put eggs in incubator with chicken eggs 2 are fertile so today put under kakariki hen who is sitting on her own infertile eggs, lost cock.hope she feeds the chicks until big enough to hand raise. Cross my fingers.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations on your sucesses. Hope the hawks have been laying off your birds this last 6 months.
LML
LML
Mycoola

There's one hanging around at the moment being a pain in the butt.if he keeps it up i will have to relocate him.
Mycoola

Red wing eggs hatched , 1 week old now and Kakariki hen feeding them like a champ.
Easterns, 1 cock red, 1 split cock, 1 normal hen and 1 cinnamon hen bred.
STUART WHITING

Mycoola wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 18:48 Red wing eggs hatched , 1 week old now and Kakariki hen feeding them like a champ.
Easterns, 1 cock red, 1 split cock, 1 normal hen and 1 cinnamon hen bred.
Well done mate :thumbup:

I do like the rosella family but a little to noisy for me :D
Mycoola

Noisy, huh, i have sun conures now these are noisy bastards, i like the Rosella songs/whistles. I have a pet one that wolf whistles and does a great waltzing matilda.
STUART WHITING

Mycoola wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 18:19 Noisy, huh, i have sun conures now these are noisy bastards, i like the Rosella songs/whistles. I have a pet one that wolf whistles and does a great waltzing matilda.
Sounds interesting :D

Yes mate I quite agree that those conures can be just a tad noisy too,

I like many of the parrot and parakeet families but I just simply haven't got the space and time for em, I live in a normal suburban area with many neighbors which I do happen to get on well with but don't think I'd be on their Christmas list if I had some of these noisier birds :lol:
Mycoola

The western rosellas are the quietest, my canaries are louder, the western s have a pretty musical note., i live on a 20m wide block in town, the sun conures are pushing the boundaries with the neighbours as are my roosters, one day someone will whinge and the roos will have to go.

Return to “Parrots”