Rose Crown fruit dove

Tintola

Good work, as when I worked at ABK about 10 yrs ago we had two birds that went to nest and would lay an egg but it was always infertile. Until about the fifth nest they laid two eggs within a day = two hens. When we got a male eggs were suddenly fertile , so you can waste a lot of time with unknown sexes. Going to bed now, keep us posted.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Danny

An associate just acquired as DNA sexed pair - set them up in a lovely aviary with multiple nests which each one chose and then proceeding to call for hens. When they met in the middle they courted each other. The moral of the story - cheap DNA sexing options are as good as guessing.
Tintola

Please explain "Cheap DNA sexing" :? Is it done with a magnet on a string? :lol:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Ian Hamilton

Feeding requirements ?
arthur

Should be plenty of diets to be found, but there is no need to over think it . .

http://www.geckodan.com/

A basic mix of diced "Carrot, Corn,& Peas" from frozen food section of deli . . plus

Small grapes when cheap, dried mixed fruit (currants, raisins etc) when they are not . . diced apple, pear, pawpaw, banana etc

I never fed citrus or stone fruit . . for no good reason (just didn't) and always fed in containers above ground at the ends of perches, or on raised shelves

I remember a mate trying pellets for his 'fruities' and seem to recall that they singled out a particular colour, and would not take the others . . making an expensive product a little more expensive again

R-C's and P-C's are easily catered for and easily bred

Something to be aware of is that cockroaches enjoy a fruit pigeon diet, and, fruit pigeon droppings . . Coopex-Wettable (bird friendly) will slow down a cocky population explosion

Delightful birds and far more steady than most of the other 'dumbo' columbids

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”