Golden Dove (Fiji)

Niki_K

A male golden dove- amazing birds. They make a growling noise and 'yap' like a puppy, instead of the typical dove-like coos. This particular male is a part of a wild pair that lives in the forest surroundung the Kula Eco Park, but he comes into the park aviaries for a free feed!
Difficult to get a good shot, as my camera didn't seem keen to focus on him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

The fruit doves/pigeons are a spectacular group of species. This is yet another one I haven't seen before - very nice.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great shot and bird :thumbup:
Myzomela

Peter Odekerken has some amazing shots of this species he took in Fiji. The mature male is a knockout.

Lucky you NikiK- hope you're enjoying yourself over there.

Any chance of a shot of some Collared lories, shining parrots or Peale's Parrot finches??
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Niki_K

Myzomela wrote:Peter Odekerken has some amazing shots of this species he took in Fiji. The mature male is a knockout.

Lucky you NikiK- hope you're enjoying yourself over there.

Any chance of a shot of some Collared lories, shining parrots or Peale's Parrot finches??
Not over there at the moment, but will take some more when I am next! It's funny, I grew up in Fiji and never knew the English name for the Peale's parrot finches until last year- at home they're called 'kula lailai' which translates to 'little green'. They were everywhere when I was a kid, and I never bothered taking pics of them. You see them a lot less frequently now, though there are a few that hang around my parents house. I was fortunate enough on this trip to see a Vanikoro Broadbill, which I haven't seen before (of course I didn't have my camera at the time!!). He was absolutely gorgeous, and happily posed for my sister and I for a few minutes before going off on his merry way.
I have some pics of shining parrots and collared lories that I'll try to find tomorrow. In the meantime, here's Koki (a Kadavu Shining Parrot)!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Niki_K

Here's another shot of the golden dove.
Myzomela

Lovely-thanks Niki!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
BluJay

@Niki, that dove is absolutely gorgeous, and your photography is awesome!
Niki_K

BluJay wrote:@Niki, that dove is absolutely gorgeous, and your photography is awesome!
Haha, thanks Jay, but I've just been lucky enough to get birds that like posing!

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”