Bleeding hearts

Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

After having these birds for nearly 4 years now and loosing so many youngsters. My bleeding hearts have finally gotten there act together , this is there second clutch, well its there first on thier own, with the first having to be fostered a week after hatching.
3.jpg
I would like to thank Tintola for all the advice I have managed to get out of him in the last 12 months , without his advice I would probably be still trying to get these lovely birds to breed succesfully .... Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BluJay

Yaaaaay, Poitta, those are really beautiful pigeons. :clap: Makes me miss my pigeons! :(
Pete Sara

yes they are one of my favorites , rose crowns next on my list... pete
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations Pete :D :D
Two beautiful....no, cute...... No....... Um...... Special babies :lol:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Pete Sara

yes that they are ugly.....at this age anyways... pete
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For now at least :D love the look of the adults... Mum can't stand them though so on the rare occasions I've seen them I not afforded much time o appreciate :P
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Tintola

poitta wrote: I would like to thank Tintola for all the advice I have managed to get out of him in the last 12 months , without his advice I would probably be still trying to get these lovely birds to breed succesfully .... Pete
Thanks Pete, I'm only too happy to help if I can. Healthy looking chicks :thumbup: I'd almost bet that you had to poke one of the parents off the nest to get that shot, unless it was a hot day, as they normally won' :? t leave the young uncovered until they are almost fully feathered. I'm curious as to what you fostered the first two young under and why it was necessary?

Here is a pic of an adult, off the net.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Pete Sara

These 2 were still under the parents. the other day I knew they must of hatched with an eggshell found on the floor. A week later I seen a little head poking out from under mums wing and thought woo hoo. Today I seen both parents off the nest a swap over and bolted down to the aviary with a hand full of mealies as a bribe and took this photo and as I left mum went back on the nest.

The reason I had to foster the previous young was they would stop brooding about a week after hatching or just stop incubating all together. It became very hard seeing young dead in the shell. They even had a habit of staying off all day , equalling one very cold bub either they forgot to return or just inexperienced as I found out the person I bought them from had a very bad habit of fostering 90% of his doves and pigeons,so I figured that may be part of the issue. So after the 3 loss's I managed to slip one of the bubs under a pair of barbary doves and that one is going great guns.

Being such a bigger bird compared to finches they are easier to monitor and no need for nest inspections at all , these ones have nested in seed dishes, even down low on the wire that I place the nesting material on, no matter what sort of platform I had they would return to the seed dish , so this time I put a small terracotta seed dish up ontop of a wire frame that was full of brush for the finches and bingo. Two healty bubs.

At the end I off the day I didnt want to have to foster the young everytime ,dont get me wrong but but fostering has its place but I dont encourage it. I much prefer them to rear the young them selves and it was now or never and also the barbary were not in sync this time to do so, which was really a good thing as I want my next generation birds to be able to rear thier own young.... pete
COUNTRY CAPITAL

congratulations Poitta on the perseverance and husbandry skills. :thumbup:
i'm a bit like j though.... hope they grow into their beaks!
by the time they fledge they should be "cute". as the adults are quite striking.
not quite finch-like enough for me but it takes all kinds.....
thanks for the pic, another when they fledge would be great.
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
Tintola

Thanks Pete, Fostering certainly has its uses and I am guilty of using the method on a regular basis. If you want to hear a real "Best laid plans" story gone wrong, here it is. :roll:

Wompoo Pigeons... Past history not good! :thumbdown: Egg either disappears, not fertile or abandoned. They lay an egg. I think "not going to stuff this one up" take egg and put it in incubator. Meanwhile White-headed Pigeons lay and I give their egg to Wompoos thinking that I can swap eggs over when it starts to hatch. All goes well and feeling confident. Two days before Wompoo egg due to hatch, I check under male Wompoo to see how things are going to find a two day old White headed chick, :wtf: doing well and being fed. :shock: Panic! Oh, but all is not lost! White-headeds have laid again and are sitting. The fertile Wompoo egg in incubator can be hatched under them when it starts to chip. Waiting, waiting, but I no complain! Day 25 comes around (Max 23 days to hatch) and egg in incubator starts to go blotchy. :problem: Break it open to find a chick about two days from hatching, dead. :cry: Then I remember a several hour, power failure within the last week. :irked: End result..... Wompoos now have a healthy, four week old White-headed chick worth about $50.00, if that, with both parents thinking "Nothing like this ever happened on my side of the family." Lesson .... Adopt the NHI approach. (No human Interference) If they F$#@ it up so may it be, they have to get it right sometimes. And you thought I was only full of success stories. :roll:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image

Return to “Doves & Pigeons”