Exotic Pheasant Breeds

GregH

Well unfortunately the list is based on a 1993 census so it's bound to be out of date. I'm always hopeful that there are people there that don't participate that still retain species but keep quiet about it. I hate to see even local extinctions - except for pests!
E Orix

I was of the opinion that there were more than one Roul Roul and hens were more common.
You never know what is tucked away.
Years ago my mate who lived in Singapore had a pair of Argus Pheasants,each evening they were put back in their pen.
The only way you could get the male in was grab it by its huge tail and push it along in the direction you wished it to go
a rudder in reverse.
He also had some Copper Pheasants,rich red/brown colour with a mauve face,most attractive but the odd thing was when
you handled them the red/brown pigment came off in your hands like talc powder.
He also had Palwan Peacock Pheasants and they were spectacular in feather and quite small compared to say Golden Pheasants.
This total family are quite spectacular its a shame we don't have access to them.
Tintola

E Orix wrote:I was of the opinion that there were more than one Roul Roul and hens were more common.
You never know what is tucked away..
I would love to know if this is the case. Even if no names are given, please confirm, if you can, that this is so as the person who has the male is desperate to keep them going in Australia.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Danny

I have a pair and a spare male - in my freezer awaiting taxidermy
Finch_Breeder

Danny wrote:I have a pair and a spare male - in my freezer awaiting taxidermy
:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birds I own/have owned: Budgerigars, **Zebra Finches**, **Star Finches**, Canaries, Diamond doves... Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested 'too
-Mike-
Tintola

Tintola wrote:
E Orix wrote:I was of the opinion that there were more than one Roul Roul and hens were more common.
You never know what is tucked away..
I would love to know if this is the case. Even if no names are given, please confirm, if you can, that this is so as the person who has the male is desperate to keep them going in Australia.
LIVE ONES, THAT IS. :roll:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just to make you guys jealous I know where some Roul-Roul and Black Kalij and Edwards Pheasants are over here breeding :D :D
Trilobite

geeze henry, you are so lucky - but annoying at the same time - just jokes. I wonder if they could be exported to us here under the auspices of the trans tasman mutual recognition act???
Cheers
Trilobite
Netsurfer

Wasn't there a Pheasant Club over Milperra or Sutherland way here in Sydney or is it the same WPA, I remember years ago I bought a young pair of Reeve's and a pair of Golden Pheasants, they wanted me to join the Club! They should now exactly what's still available here in Australia.

Trilobite wrote:geeze henry, you are so lucky - but annoying at the same time - just jokes. I wonder if they could be exported to us here under the auspices of the trans tasman mutual recognition act???
Me to Henry, I'd like to see those birds again in Australia if you could send them over, remember to throw in couple of pairs of Redpolls, some Yellowhammers and a few Euro Bullfinches! :)
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The more time I spend around you lot, the more I reckon I'm gonna have to do some traveling around the world when I Come of age!! Nz for pheasants and euro finches, Europe and Africa for waxbills etc, south America because it's AWESOME, America for all those twin spots and things. But as I continue to think, Australia has some of the best diversities of bird species kept, and perhaps I should just stay here.
Not to mention Weaver and E Orix and Danny and everyone are here so I can continue to bug them with all my questions :lol:
As for roul roul partridge, I saw a stuffed one a while back which was apparently a "recent specimen" :think:
(by the way Danny I have a crescent honeyeater that's been in the freezer for a few months, trying to find decent scalpel blades for my taxidermy experiments - parents still haven't found it!!)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”