Exotic Pheasant Breeds

Danny

Netsurfer wrote:Wasn't there a Pheasant Club over Milperra or Sutherland way here in Sydney or is it the same WPA, I remember years ago I bought a young pair of Reeve's and a pair of Golden Pheasants, they wanted me to join the Club! They should now exactly what's still available here in Australia.
The Pheasant and Waterfowl Association is alive and well (I am their Federal Patron) - since the retirement of rare pheasant gurus like Craig McFawn and Ross Weber and passing of Ray Garwood several species have fallen by the wayside over the last 15 years. Like everything these days you need youngsters to fill their shoes and they aren't necessarily lining up at the door to take on the job.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have baby Red Polls,Yellow Hammers,Chafffinches and Cirl Buntings about to fledge chicks there only worth $15each here.
I would love all the Munias species,Red Avadavats,Purple Grenaider,Tri Colour Parrot Finch,Rufous Backs,Blue Caps ,All Pytlia Species,Orange Cheek and Senegal Waxbill.and some Aberdeens.I wish we could do a Trans Tasman swap.But that would be in my or anyone dreams.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finches247 wrote: I would love Purple Grenaider,Orange Cheek and Senegal Waxbill.and some Aberdeens.
So would we :lolno:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Myzomela

Danny,

That particular society seem to be notable by their inactivity.

Are they just dying a slow death?

When they advertised their convention recently (last yr/yr before) I was looking forward to it.

Then I realised it was just aviary visits with one evening talk, if I remember correctly.

Although valuable in its own right, that is hardly what I would call a convention.

How about some talks & speakers to get people fired up about these birds, much as the "Finches" conventions have done.

With the death of the AFA conventions in this country, no-one now covers pheasants, waterfowl, pigeons/doves or softbills ( Healesville convention excepted)
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Brooksy

finches247 wrote:I have baby Red Polls,Yellow Hammers,Chafffinches and Cirl Buntings about to fledge chicks there only worth $15each here.
I would love all the Munias species,Red Avadavats,Purple Grenaider,Tri Colour Parrot Finch,Rufous Backs,Blue Caps ,All Pytlia Species,Orange Cheek and Senegal Waxbill.and some Aberdeens.I wish we could do a Trans Tasman swap.But that would be in my or anyone dreams.
Just get a hold of a sea worthy boat and I'll meet you at an undisclosed location on the east coast of Aus and I'll swap some Munias for your Chaff's and whatever else you want to bring over :thumbup:
west finch

finches247 wrote:I have baby Red Polls,Yellow Hammers,Chafffinches and Cirl Buntings about to fledge chicks there only worth $15each here..

Are your chaffies breeding at the moment??? :eh:
Work smarter not harder !
Danny

Myzomela wrote:Danny,

That particular society seem to be notable by their inactivity.

Are they just dying a slow death?

When they advertised their convention recently (last yr/yr before) I was looking forward to it.

Then I realised it was just aviary visits with one evening talk, if I remember correctly.

Although valuable in its own right, that is hardly what I would call a convention.

How about some talks & speakers to get people fired up about these birds, much as the "Finches" conventions have done.

With the death of the AFA conventions in this country, no-one now covers pheasants, waterfowl, pigeons/doves or softbills ( Healesville convention excepted)
Depends on the state branch - I'm expecting 30+ to turn up for the meeting at my place in a few weeks - QLD has the strongest branch followed by VIC - SA and NSW struggle and WA is stable. The problem is that these types of birds are being legislated out of suburbia so members are all on the outskirts which makes it harder to maintain a central membership.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

west finch wrote:
finches247 wrote:I have baby Red Polls,Yellow Hammers,Chafffinches and Cirl Buntings about to fledge chicks there only worth $15each here..

Yeah there my winter breeders.Dont breed in summer here
west finch

finches247 wrote:
west finch wrote:

Yeah there my winter breeders.Dont breed in summer here

Do you do anything to get them to breed in winter ? or is it natural behaviour ? i was under the impression that long daylight hours was required for Chaffies to come into breeding condition and to trigger breeding . :?
Work smarter not harder !
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you do anything to get them to breed in winter ? or is it natural behaviour ? i was under the impression that long daylight hours was required for Chaffies to come into breeding condition and to trigger breeding . :?[/quote]

I give them Lots seeding grasses and silverbeet.They are kept in a fully enclosed aviaries over winter with Led Strip solar panel lights running overnight from 5PM to 7AM Which may act making days seem longer to make them breed.I do breed a few in Spring and Autumn but never any in summer where as all my other finches do breed in summer.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”