King quails hatched colour help

maz

I had 4 king quail hatch today (hopefully more tonight) and I'm not sure on colours, I have a normal female, silver females, silver male and cinnamon male, the chicks so far are dark brown (I assume wild type), a yellow with slight brown and an all yellow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
montall

When I was breeding quails the brown chicks turned out to be normal and the yellow ones silver. I only had the one fawn coloured one, which I suppose was a cinnamon, I'm no quail expert though so I could be wrong. I think from memory that chick was a yellowish colour with a hint of brown so going on my past experience I would say you have a nice mixture of colours there. I remember being really excited when the odd colour arrived. The young quail was a sort of light dappled beige colour, very pretty, but it darkened as it got older.
Image ... Leonie
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the only three readily available mutations of king in australia are silver cinnamon and silver. Normal chicks are yes, the dark ones. silver are pure yellow, and cinnamon are yellow with two reddish racing stripes on the back. you have silvers and normals in that pic :)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So far I agree with Jay, but every now and then a light one will make a liar of you. Like the 2 chicks 1 of my pairs of cinnamons have running round almost fully coloured now. Came out like the 2 you have. Fine, 2 nice young silvers. Accept that one has gradually gotten rustier. And is now obviously a very pale cinnamon. (you know the ones, that have so many light feathers when they first colour up that you would almost think they are a mottled pied?)
LML
LML

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”