Californian Quail

ruthieharris

I'm guessing Californian Quail are a species not permitted in W.A ?
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~
GregH

As you feared it's on the Prohibited list. For any enquiries like this AFF has a Legal Requirements and Legislation section with links for each state all in one place.
BlackCobra

What a shame, I bred lots Californian quails, I would have thought if some got released they would have been trapped pretty quickly.
I use to breed Californians & bobwhites & Japs & Kings, I bred over 1000 japs, I had 2 aviaries just Japs lol
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We can have King and Jap over here in the big state.
LML
LML
Tintola

Unfortunately Californians have a habit of naturalising very well in foreign lands. They are feral in many places
including New Zealand, Norfolk Island, King Island,Hawaii,Chile,Argentina, and some parts of Canada. Domestication doesn't seem to water down their wild nature and they remain very alert, making them survivors when they are released or escape. Personally I don't see the problem as they don't have a huge pest potential.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
BlackCobra

yes I dont see a huge pest problem either, seen we already have wild quails here & you dont hear them being a pest, I would love to see some Californians run across the road instead of normal stubble quails, its not like they can fly up & eat the heads of crops like parrots do, it a a shame you guys cant have them over there, I reckon they are the most beautiful quail we have, its been a while since I had them here, I hope we can still have them.
TomDeGraaff

I for one am happy to keep them in aviaries. No need to replace our lovely natives. Acclimatisation Societies tried that - rabbits, foxes, starlings etc -we know how they turned out.
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

hey Ruth try telling the guy that repeatedly posts in the quokka and gumtree looking for some.. its people like that, that help feed the scammers....pete
ruthieharris

Yeah like that silly woman looking for Parrotlets hey Poitta :oops: haha. I nearly got scammed you know too. Got a reply from from a guy over East who said his wife had died and were her birds long long sob story , cut a long story short he wanted few hundred $s down payment before he sent birds over .I just played along to see how far it went. Then months later someone told me about a scam on Gumtree with a Widower that got left with puppies etc , they were doing the same scam same sob story but using Teacup Chihuahuas. :evil:
Never ever be afraid to do whats right if the well being of an animal is at stake.
Societys punishments are small compared to the wounds we afflict on our Soul when we look the other way.
~ Blue Caps ~ Tanimbars ~ Cutthroats ~ Gouldians ~ Silkie Chickens~
BlackCobra

LOL petlink is even worse for scammers, I had about 7 from 11 emails for trying to buy a shepherd dogs, I now use google to see if there scammers by uploading any pics to the search part & it searches all the web to see if the pic is used elswhere, I helped my wifes friend recently that was talking to some english guy on the net, to check, the photo come up being used many times elsewhere.
These days the only way I will buy birds off the net is that I tell them I come & pick up, or say I will have a friend come & pick up.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”