Jap quail

BlackCobra

When I was incubating Jap quails, I collected the eggs once or twice a day & sometimes I would find the eggs in a corner with a hen looking after them, but it was rare to see one sitting, I suppose I didn't give the hens a chance to go clucky with collecting them all so fast.
BlackCobra

Danny wrote:Well done. I hatch 150 a week but if they think they are getting a bale of straw so they can do it themself they are sadly mistaken.
Danny when you say you hatch 150 a week do you incubate or they hatch there own?.
Danny

BlackCobra wrote:
Danny wrote:Well done. I hatch 150 a week but if they think they are getting a bale of straw so they can do it themself they are sadly mistaken.
Danny when you say you hatch 150 a week do you incubate or they hatch there own?.
incubator
BlackCobra

Danny wrote:
BlackCobra wrote:
incubator
Ok ty Danny, I didn't really think it was from breeding, but I wanted to be sure, it sounds like you will be like me & bred thousands & thousands, its funny they say at 6-8 weeks they start to lay, I found more like 8-10 weeks, but its incredible that they start that early.
Another funny thing is every now & then you get such a docile one that you pretty well have to push them out of the way, every one I had like that were all the same colour.
I must admit I miss incubating, It was a lot of good fun, I had so many brooders going of all types, I built one like a pinball table on legs & put perpex on the sides so my sons could stand at the sides & watch them, I also used foam boxes for the bobs & californians & made a circle out of tin for all the kings, back then I use one whole side of a double garage just with brooders & incubators, I got a bit carried away, lol
Danny

BlackCobra wrote:
Danny wrote:
BlackCobra wrote:
incubator
Ok ty Danny, I didn't really think it was from breeding, but I wanted to be sure, it sounds like you will be like me & bred thousands & thousands, its funny they say at 6-8 weeks they start to lay, I found more like 8-10 weeks, but its incredible that they start that early.
Another funny thing is every now & then you get such a docile one that you pretty well have to push them out of the way, every one I had like that were all the same colour.
I must admit I miss incubating, It was a lot of good fun, I had so many brooders going of all types, I built one like a pinball table on legs & put perpex on the sides so my sons could stand at the sides & watch them, I also used foam boxes for the bobs & californians & made a circle out of tin for all the kings, back then I use one whole side of a double garage just with brooders & incubators, I got a bit carried away, lol
Mine don't get out of hand. Apart from the occasional individual chicks that spark my interest, most are dispatched (gassed) as reptile food at 24 hours old and then into the freezer.
elferoz777

What do you do with them all???

I see you feed them to reptiles and the like but is there a market fr that volume of quails?

You can eat jap quails and theirs eggs cant you?

When over seas I was sold quail eggs on the street (in peru). They were boiled up and resembled jap quail eggs
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
BlackCobra

The Filipino people use to buy lots my eggs, they think they have some spiritual or something special about them, I cant remember lol.
Last edited by BlackCobra on 18 Dec 2012, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
Danny

elferoz777 wrote:What do you do with them all???

I see you feed them to reptiles and the like but is there a market fr that volume of quails?

You can eat jap quails and theirs eggs cant you?

When over seas I was sold quail eggs on the street (in peru). They were boiled up and resembled jap quail eggs
They go to a food retailer. I supply wholesale as many as I can breed in a month.
GregH

Graham the Filipinos buy them because it reminds them of home. Over here Jap quail eggs sell for about $8/dozen but over there I used to get a tray of 24 for less than $1.50. They are a common roadside snack - 5 boiled eggs in a plastic tube with salt in the bottom for $1. It's a good way of earning cash for the locals but it is rather cruel when you see how it's done. Image Photo from EntrePinoys. Of course we have space and they don't.
Danny

GregH wrote:Of course we have space and they don't.
Mine are kept in deep litter but most Australian commercial breeders do not keep them any diffrent to your picture, sad to say.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”