Chooks

Tiaris

Why :shock:? , what could be better than a fresh home-grown chook to eat? Fresh home-grown meat is every bit as good as fresh home-grown fruit & veges.
Can't say I'd be that fussed on an old hen past her laying prime though - maybe a young rooster just hitting his straps.
Brooksy

Tiaris wrote:Why :shock:? , what could be better than a fresh home-grown chook to eat? Fresh home-grown meat is every bit as good as fresh home-grown fruit & veges.
Can't say I'd be that fussed on an old hen past her laying prime though - maybe a young rooster just hitting his straps.
Totally agree
Leigh

There is something about homegrown chicken, so much better than store bought ones. I think every one that eats meat should try it atleast once. I wouldnt eat my 3.... They have names. I could not imagine eating Stephanie, Camilla or Rachelle.
Redwing

Likewise Rosie, Ruby and Pauline.
Myzomela

Yes, home grown chook tastes yummy as I found out to my dismay.
As a kid devouring a yummy chicken and rice dinner I later found out (by accident) that the chicken I'd been eating was previously living in my backyard as one of my bantam flock. I was devastated at the deception and the fate of my poor chookie, but damn did she taste good!
I live with the emotional scars to this day...
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Davo2

I have 2 isa Browns called penny and snitzel, 1 pekin named patty and a white one that is very broody called Shelly :oops: I laughed when the breeder told me that chooks were racist but I now know it is a fact, once the food is on the isa Browns give the black and white ones a flogging if they get too close but then they all roost on the same perch.

Cheers
Ron
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myzomela

Hi Vicnorthone
You'd be better off contacting a breeder and buying from them than from a chook auction.

Chook auctions are exciting places to see lots of breeds but are notoriously bad for introducing diseases like Marek's Disease and Chronic Respiratory Disease into your flock. These may not be obvious when you buy but can cause major problems down the track.

I'd be very cautious if I were you.
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”