DUCK SEASON

arthur

I see that it is not good weather for ducks in Vic ATM

Seems passing strange that the Vic 'authorities' who are not far behind Qld in restricting the range of captive bird species humanely kept, can condone this inhumane 'recreational practice'

Apart from the huge waste of police resources that seem to be involved in 'upholding' the law, duck shooting is pretty hard to justify from any angle

Anybody want to try :think:
Craig52

Everyone to their own Arthur,i have been a duck,quail and rabbit shooter for as long as i have been able to hold a shotgun,probably 50 years.Every bird i shoot is relished at the table,and i consider myself as a responsible firearms user and yes there are some irresponsible shooters out there that are being weeded out.
This year the ducks are getting a reprieve from me as i have just come out of hospital and can't shoot for 3 months so the season will be over. :thumbdown:
Just because i keep birds (finches)doesn't mean that i can't eat wild duck/quail and enjoy my time away with mates in the bush a few times in the season that i am evil,if you are going to pick on duck shooters why don't you pick on the families or friends that get together and go fishing for recreation,i'm not against them but would you liked to be pulled in on a line with a b....y big hook stuck in your mouth.
We all pay for our recreational activities and if everyone does the right thing,things run smoothly so the police and the NPWS are doing a good job AND being paid for it.
Businesses prosper from our activities,especially small towns who make thousands of $ from food,accommodation, beverages,fuel etc ect and the list goes on.
If you don't like it,join the hippie looking creeps and wade out in a swamp and wave their arms about pretending to fly :lol:
NSW is going back to a duck opening,oh sorry,duck culling season they call it now,Why,because the ducks are eating all their rice and their water storages are being contaminated by cryptosporidium a disease carried by water fowl that are in huge numbers that need to be culled :roll: I had a go,anybody else? Craig
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig52 wrote:Everyone to their own Arthur,i have been a duck,quail and rabbit shooter for as long as i have been able to hold a shotgun,probably 50 years.Every bird i shoot is relished at the table,and i consider myself as a responsible firearms user and yes there are some irresponsible shooters out there that are being weeded out.
This year the ducks are getting a reprieve from me as i have just come out of hospital and can't shoot for 3 months so the season will be over. :thumbdown:
Just because i keep birds (finches)doesn't mean that i can't eat wild duck/quail and enjoy my time away with mates in the bush a few times in the season that i am evil,if you are going to pick on duck shooters why don't you pick on the families or friends that get together and go fishing for recreation,i'm not against them but would you liked to be pulled in on a line with a b....y big hook stuck in your mouth.
We all pay for our recreational activities and if everyone does the right thing,things run smoothly so the police and the NPWS are doing a good job AND being paid for it.
Businesses prosper from our activities,especially small towns who make thousands of $ from food,accommodation, beverages,fuel etc ect and the list goes on.
If you don't like it,join the hippie looking creeps and wade out in a swamp and wave their arms about pretending to fly :lol:
NSW is going back to a duck opening,oh sorry,duck culling season they call it now,Why,because the ducks are eating all their rice and their water storages are being contaminated by cryptosporidium a disease carried by water fowl that are in huge numbers that need to be culled :roll: I had a go,anybody else? Craig
I have done the same since I was a young tacker..and also do rabbits too...plus like you I only shoot what I need for a feed :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
garyh

I was going to leave this topic alone,but i really do like my hunting and shooting weekends,i started ferreting for rabbits long before i can remember,my parents told me the stories of my youth,then came firearms and the proper use of them,duck culling or shooting is something i look forward to every year,i shoot a lot in NSW near Hay,the amount of ducks on the rice is enormous ,farmers pay you and give you the ammo just to scare the birds away,the amount of birds are staggering,garyh
arthur

ducky 1.jpg
Getting ready for a bang?

Been a slow Sunday . . sorry Saturday . . up this way :silent:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by arthur on 21 Mar 2015, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Craig52

arthur wrote:
ducky 1.jpg
Getting ready for a bang?

Been a slow Sunday up this way :silent:
:clap: :clap: You bloody stirra :D Craig
arthur

:thumbup: :wave:
matcho

Arthur,

Wouldn't worry about ducks or quail who are targets of sport shooters. It goes in cycles, water, drought, explosion of numbers. At least at this time there is licensing where as years ago it was a free for all and the cowboys shot, shot, shot and very rarely harvested for food. Trust me, Police resources are not really expended in NSW in regards to duck season. Do we have one here? Not sure now but a few years ago it was open slather for pest eradication especially in irrigation areas on private property. Might be different In Mexico (Victoria) because they do have a propensity to hunt anything that moves. Might be because of the European heritage where wild game was a norm for feeding the family.

I would be more concerned about our native duck being hybridized with the mallard rather than duck hunting season.

I would suggest that there are less shooters than years ago because of gun tightening laws since Port Arthur. Maybe it might be our agriculture and water usage that is causing the problem for our waterfowl?

Food for thought?

Ken.
Craig52

matcho wrote:Arthur,

Wouldn't worry about ducks or quail who are targets of sport shooters. It goes in cycles, water, drought, explosion of numbers. At least at this time there is licensing where as years ago it was a free for all and the cowboys shot, shot, shot and very rarely harvested for food. Trust me, Police resources are not really expended in NSW in regards to duck season. Do we have one here? Not sure now but a few years ago it was open slather for pest eradication especially in irrigation areas on private property. Might be different In Mexico (Victoria) because they do have a propensity to hunt anything that moves. Might be because of the European heritage where wild game was a norm for feeding the family.

I would be more concerned about our native duck being hybridized with the mallard rather than duck hunting season.

I would suggest that there are less shooters than years ago because of gun tightening laws since Port Arthur. Maybe it might be our agriculture and water usage that is causing the problem for our waterfowl?

Food for thought?
Hi Ken,Yes you do have a now called duck culling season.
There are more licenced game shooters than licenced bird keepers.
There is just as many if not more European heritage game shooters in NSW as Vic
No,if not kept in check,ducks can breed out of control with Wood ducks,pacific Black Duck double clutching/ breeding in good seasons with over a dozen ducklings per nest.
Feral Mallard ducks can be shot all year round but there are funny looking black ducks around.
Once a cop always a cop :D Craig
Ken.
E Orix

I am not a shooter of game and the Murray River tributary is my rear boundary.
The main Duck shooting area is under 1km from my home and when dawn arrives on opening day we are quickly
reminded first by the sound of shot guns being fired and secondly by the amount of ducks on our front pond (Woodies) and
Black Ducks around our swimming pool.
I have no problem with shooting here as it is the only way to keep the numbers down especially the Wood Ducks.
It is common to see a Wood Duck with 13+ ducklings and most survive.
I smile when I read how the tree huggers go into the swamps to frighten the ducks away from the shooters, they are not smart
enough to realise they are doing the shooters a favour. The ducks need to be in the air to shoot and that's what the save the
Duck people do put them up there. The dollars that the shooters spend in the country areas are most welcome as well.
Sadly you do get some idiots but they are generally sorted out.
Actually there are far less shooters today than 20 years ago. In those days my mate up the road could hear the shot dropping on to his tin roof
and the area sounded like a war zone nowhere near like that today.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”