natural wormers for chooks

werty

anyone tried natural wormers for chooks like pumpkin seed, garlic and chilli?
Tiaris

My chooks have had all these in kitchen scraps fed to them, but very much doubt it would have effectively controlled worms in them. I just worm my chooks with bird wormer when I do the finches.
werty

Tiaris wrote:My chooks have had all these in kitchen scraps fed to them, but very much doubt it would have effectively controlled worms in them. I just worm my chooks with bird wormer when I do the finches.
when you use bird wormer, how long until you can eat the eggs again, what is the withholding period?

my old man keeps chooks on the farm, he has never wormed them

he swears by pumpkin seed,garlic and chilli, I just got some chooks of him, I don't know if I can believe in these old methods

also what bird wormer are you using on the chooks?
Tiaris

Moxydectin plus @ 5ml/litre. No withholding period.
sdegiorgio

Werty, the worming tablets we use at the clinic where I work are Vetafarm Wormout Tablets for pigeons and bantams. They are an all wormer and the dose is one tablet by mouth per 2 kg of body weight, and the treatment needs to be repeated in 8 weeks. The withholding period for eggs (for human consumption) is 2 weeks. I have asked the vet previously about withholding the eggs and I was advised that the eggs, laid during the withholding period, could be fed to the birds hard boiled.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.
werty

Tiaris wrote:Moxydectin plus @ 5ml/litre. No withholding period.
thanks for the info, tiaris I did some searching on another poultry forum, others believe you should withhold eggs if using moxy plus

how many years have you been treating your chooks with moxy plus?
werty

sdegiorgio wrote:Werty, the worming tablets we use at the clinic where I work are Vetafarm Wormout Tablets for pigeons and bantams. They are an all wormer and the dose is one tablet by mouth per 2 kg of body weight, and the treatment needs to be repeated in 8 weeks. The withholding period for eggs (for human consumption) is 2 weeks. I have asked the vet previously about withholding the eggs and I was advised that the eggs, laid during the withholding period, could be fed to the birds hard boiled.
thanks for the info Giorgio, I have the vetafarm wormout gel, could I just use this on my chooks,

does anyone know of any wormers you don't have to withhold eggs?

I consume 5 a day, so I really don't want to throw them away
sdegiorgio

Werty, I wouldn't use the Wormout Gel, only because I don't think it is an effective worming treatment. I have used the gel on other birds recently and it didn't work at all. When my birds were checked by an avian vet, they were still quite badly infested with worms, and I almost lost them.

I was advised that a withholding period is recommended by many producers of such products because there is a risk of an anaphylactic reaction occurring in humans.

Perhaps you could worm your chickens when they have slowed or stopped laying. Our chickens have recently stopped laying so we will be worming them shortly so we are not loosing the eggs.

Suzanne
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.
werty

sdegiorgio wrote:Werty, I wouldn't use the Wormout Gel, only because I don't think it is an effective worming treatment. I have used the gel on other birds recently and it didn't work at all. When my birds were checked by an avian vet, they were still quite badly infested with worms, and I almost lost them.

I was advised that a withholding period is recommended by many producers of such products because there is a risk of an anaphylactic reaction occurring in humans.

Perhaps you could worm your chickens when they have slowed or stopped laying. Our chickens have recently stopped laying so we will be worming them shortly so we are not loosing the eggs.

Suzanne
that's a GREAT idea, worm them when they aren't laying :thumbup:

what kind of birds did you use the wormout gel on?

I have been using the wormout gel for 2 years now, and I give my gouldians soil everyday

so far seems to be working
Tiaris

werty wrote:
Tiaris wrote:Moxydectin plus @ 5ml/litre. No withholding period.
thanks for the info, tiaris I did some searching on another poultry forum, others believe you should withhold eggs if using moxy plus

how many years have you been treating your chooks with moxy plus?
About 8-10 years.

Return to “Poultry & Game Birds”