Canary breeding

Redwing

Just wondering when canary breeders pair up their canaries if they put a nest in straight away or wait till the birds get to know each other first. This hasn't been an issue in the past but have just bought a new male for my existing hen.
Tiaris

My daughter paired her's up a fortnight ago & put nests in a week later - most pairs at nest now.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most I would think, introduce the pair, then the nest. As mine are with the finches they go to nest when it suits them.
LML
LML
Canary

I usually put the hen in the cage first for about 4 days and then once she starts to carry nesting material around I put a nest in and put the cock in with her.

It pays to watch them for a few minutes to make sure that they are not fighting like cats and dogs. They may argue a bit, as long as it is nothing serious like feather plucking and scalping each other.

I have not put my birds together yet, as I do not believe my hens are ready yet.

I have heard of many people with eggs in the nest and even a few chicks. Best to wait until the hens appear ready, or you will have clear eggs. The cocks were all ready to go months ago.
Redwing

Wish I 'd read your very specific advice first canary as I put the young hen in the cage with the new cock this afternoon. Have had his cage right beside her aviary for nearly a week so they could interact safely and both seemed pretty relaxed but should I now take him out for a few days or leave them together and put in a nest in about a week? she has been carrying the odd bit of grass around for a couple of days.
Tiaris

If she's been carrying material for a few days, she is probably ready to breed.
Redwing

I obviously missed some unpleasantness at dawn as there were some feathers (his) underneath the cage, but both were relaxed and looking out for green treats when I got up half an hour later. Think I'll give them a couple of days and then put in a nest. My old pair (she's 5 and he's at least 8) didn't breed at all last year have started to show signs of interest also, with increased singing from him and some mutual feeding. Is he too old to let try again?
Canary

I would leave them together and put the nest in now if she has been carrying grass around.

They are never too old, as long as they look healthy. Only if they are looking fluffed up or sick, then I would not put them together.
Redwing

The old canary looks fantastic but showed no interest at all last year in breeding, so I just thought he was well and truly retired. He's in a small aviary with his 5 year old mate so will put a nest in and see what happens.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No matter what creature, some of the mature ones still have plenty of get up and go. It just does not get up and go as often as it used to. :silent: So never say never. Just accept that the results may not be as many.
LML
LML

Return to “Canaries”