What kind of canaries are these?

Spitfire

A cross between a Red Siskin Male and a Canary Hen Is called an F1 and some are Fertile, Which leads to F2 and F3. leading back to Red Canary.
The optimum red is obtained by color additives.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 points, the first pic bird on the left looks like it may have some Yorkshire blood in it from the stance. the 2nd someone obviously forgot to tell a lot of canaries that they are cup nesters, as they use cupnests and boxs fairly evenly in my 30 years of experience with them. Domesticated birds will change their habits over time if they see an advantage.
LML
LML
TomDeGraaff

finchbreeder wrote:...someone obviously forgot to tell a lot of canaries that they are cup nesters, as they use cupnests and boxs fairly evenly in my 30 years of experience with them. Domesticated birds will change their habits over time if they see an advantage.
LML
Good point, Finchbreeder! Birds don't read the bird books, do they!!
I have had canaries nest in half-open finch boxes but not in hole-type boxes. Is that what you mean? I wouldn't be surprised because in an aviary they can be quite opportunistic nesters. :)
garyh

My mother breeds canaries,one has nested in a very small cane basket and just fledged two young,another nest site is on a flat piece of timber where she puts treats for the birds,nestled up against the wire and in between two feed bowls and fledged 3 yesterday,there are about 15 empty nesting cups for them to use but seem to ignore these for some reason ,as she says in a rather big aviary, canaries are never boring,garyh
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mother and I both breed canarys as well as Gouldians, and in the same avairys. During canary breeding season they take over the Gouldian nest boxs in preference to other kinds quite regularly. Though at the moment I have one young lady who has built a beautiful cup nest from scratch out of grasses in the fork of a treebranch I have in the avairy.
LML
LML

Return to “Canaries”