New Mutation?

TailFeathers

Hello,

I see a breeder on the net who has a new mutation canary. I think he bred a variegated, lizard and mahogany canary to get what look like half crowns on the back of their head.

They have variegated bellies, white tails and white wing tips on most. I know because I visited the birds.

Here is one of them

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujcsisk1aDU
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like a perfectly ordinary varigated canary that has been colour fed to me. Can't see anything new or original there.
LML
LML
Craig52

I tend to agree FB,i bred colour fed varigated canaries just like that many years ago. Craig
TailFeathers

They are indeed a new mutation. It's a gene that was passed on by a lizard canary. This mutation didn't take foothold or notice because most breeders looked at them as an oddity, not having uniform patterns, including the crown itself which is sometimes jagged, half the size, etc etc. however, there are breeds which have very uniform and nice bands.
nswchainsaw

Its not a mutation its a cross between a variegated Bronze and a Lizard Canary .
Garry
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A mutation is a spontanious genetic change. A variety is a type that results from crossing existing types and getting an interesting result. From what you say and what I see this is a variety. I like it, but it does not seem to be a new mutation.
LML
LML
BluJay

Is this the same type of Canary everyone is talking about?

If so, that's her colour, without being colour fed. Regards.
TailFeathers

This is the bird
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BluJay

Oh ok. Thanks.
TailFeathers

Welcome.

I'll try to post a pic soon of a variety canary which has the lizard skull cap only to show the difference.

Return to “Canaries”