Only 1 egg

Jugleong

Guys, quite new with canary. I bought my 1st canary pair less than 2 months ago and ask the breeder if I should separate them at that moment. the breeder told me not to coz the female is ready. after 2 weeks under my care saw an egg (soft egg) on the floor so I was worried...and start feeding my pair with nutritious food and suppliments with calcium after a week she laid an egg (single egg) it hatched out as schedule but on the 2nd day died, I knew she(baby canary) will died because she is small and weak I even help her out of the shell after seeing inside of the egg is drying out and she's still straggling to get out... She laid an egg again last oct 29 until now still 1 egg :( . makes me really worried with her condition.

what do you guys think is the problem with my hen canary?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe old? :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Craig52

vettepilot_6 wrote:Maybe old? :think:
Or too young and inexperienced as breeders. Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Either of the above, are possible. Just give her lots of greens, and egg and biscuit mix and hope that she raises the next one, And if she is old maybe it will only be one, and if she is young then the numbers should increase. It's all about learning for you and her both. Good luck.
LML
LML
Jugleong

thanks everyone for info appreciate it very much, added knowledge for me. I dont know if you would agree with me...I put a zebra finch egg in her nest just to let her know 1 egg is not enough, more eggs are better. hope it will help her realize it( if she is young). :crazy: :mrgreen: :crazy:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jugleong wrote:thanks everyone for info appreciate it very much, added knowledge for me. I dont know if you would agree with me...I put a zebra finch egg in her nest just to let her know 1 egg is not enough, more eggs are better. hope it will help her realize it( if she is young). :crazy: :mrgreen: :crazy:
I remember reading somewhere the a larger egg will make them sit better..apparently has something to do with hormones... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Red

As suggested by others I think you need to feed the hen egg and biscuit. Not the stuff you just add water to, the stuff you mix boiled egg with. Even just giving a hard boiled egg every day cut in half will help the hen get into condition.
Canary

Jugleong

If you brought the canaries from a breeder, I would expect that they would have rings on their leg so you could tell how old the birds are. The rings should have a year on them.

Most canaries lay between 3 and 5 eggs, however some lay 1 egg and other lay 7 eggs. As it is the second nest that she has laid 1 egg, I would think that the hen is not in top breeding condition. As others have mentioned feed half a boiled egg or an egg food mix, and greens. If you can provide some liquid vitamins in their water that will also help. I always provide grit and cuttlebone.

Once they are set, leave them alone. Maybe check the eggs on the 7th day to see if they are fertile.

It is a good idea to spray the hen and eggs with some water on the 9th day they are set and the 13th day, the day before they hatch. This helps the chick hatch out of the egg without getting stuck or drying out.

If the hen hatches the 1 or 2 eggs, place a dummy egg or marble in the nest so that the hen does not sit too tight and squash the chick, and leave the marble in the nest until the chick is big enough to leave the nest or it may end up with splayed legs.

Remember no two hens will be the same. I put my birds together on 4th and 5th of October. Some started building their nest almost immediately and the last 2 hens are just making nests now.

Good luck, it is early days yet, as canaries will breed until late January.

Greg
Craig52

Hi Canary, this guy is in the Philippines so maybe no rung birds but good advice. Craig
Jugleong

Taking all your advices into practice. thanks.

As for the legband all my canaries has 1 aluminum legband some have 2 (1 aluminum and 1 plastic).
Canary legbands in the Philippines is hard to find it has to be customized and no standard year color coding.

Anyhow, the reason why I did not bother to check the year on the ring is because some breeder rung their canary for beautification purposes, they will put old ring with old year number... but definitely not all many use them as record.

I have 3 pairs from different breeders and I check all legbands just now discovered all has initials of the breeder and 3 digit numbers but no year :thumbdown:

Return to “Canaries”