accidental hybrids

landferno

I havent bred any but Ive seen quite a few, longtail-parson, doublebar-plumhead, aberdeen-cutthroat, zebra-doublebar. Various parrots and i recall a stunning male King-Crimson Wing. In the US there is quite a trade in them for the pet market and one in particular has its own name!! The Catalina Macaw is a cross between the Blue and Gold and the Scarlet. We dont have to go too far to see hybrids, just look at all those coloured fischer and masked lovebirds!! All just hybridised to try and get the colours into each species.
Tiaris

I've seen Plumhead x Star before & it looked exactly the same as the one in the photo. Star it is. Any redness of the Star bill is counteracted by the darkness of the Plumhead's.
arthur

mattymeischke wrote:I think it's nice looking whether or not it's a hybrid...
ditto
gomer

Plumheads are a finch that you always have more cocks then hens in my experience and judging by the amount of cock to hen ratio at sales aswell.Also by the sounds of it is willing to hybrinise more readily then others. Also the star finch has been mentioned more than once so far. both of these I have experienced over more than or many thousands of finches kept over years.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tiaris

Gomer, I agree with the propensity of these 2 species to hybridise. Plumheads are not that common in finch collections but seem over-represented in hybrids I have seen & heard of. Star X Ruddy is the only accidental hybrid I have ever bred more than once. Perhaps male Star & Plumhead's ready willingness to crow (initiate courtship) to anyone or anything who'll listen is a contributing factor.
Redwing

Would have to agree with the enthusiasm in star males to sing to anyone. Sure my young male is checking out the 3 lady chooks that he can see from his aviary.
arthur

If they breed we want photos . .

Oops . . sorry Di

I'm taking your role :oops:
branchez

This bird fledged in a mixed aviary-as the owner did not see the parents feeding it he
is quessing it is a hybrid Black Throat x Red Face. He had only pairs in this aviary-so can only
assume that the Parrotfinch has caught up with the hen Black Throat-no other young fledged
at the same time this on appeared.Sorry about the photo quality but it was the best of 25 photos,
the bugger wouldn't stand still.
Jack
branchez

Forgot the photo. :crazy:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myzomela

Here's a doublebar x plumhead pr for sale on Gumtree at the moment...
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cameron- ... 1018873458
Research; evaluate;observe;act

Return to “Anything else”