What scares Miner Birds? Surely there must be something...

SamDavis

jusdeb wrote:boom chucka lucka and its bye bye birdy :thumbup:
Love it :D :) ;-)
Trilobite

try z longs subsonic at about 1200fps they seem to work, else you could feed the young chicks to your well kept python or just simply oil the eggs before they hatch. Watch the miners and you will soon see where they are nesting. Strangely I have heaps of brush and shrubs around the place and yet the miners still keep the smaller birds away - I have only seen 1 Double bar and 2 red brows in over 3-4 years.
Cheers
Trilobite
Finchy

Trilobite wrote:try z longs subsonic at about 1200fps
Um...translation please? I have no idea what that means. :huh:
Last edited by Finchy on 12 Sep 2014, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Craig52

Finchy wrote:
Trilobite wrote:try z longs subsonic at about 1200fps
Um...translation please? I have no idea what that means. :huh:
I don't think you want to know Finchy,by the way whats happening with your poop thread. Craig
matcho

Finchy the fps means "foot per second", in otherwords it means shooting them. Used to do it years ago with the Indians, wing one and then clean out the rest with an air rifle because they all came down to the injured party. Never had the Noisy Miners round in those days, they were rare in the southern suburbs of Sydney. Eggs were cherished as part of an egg collection. I am talking over 40 years ago. I think because we have changed the environment in regards to large parklands and planting of flowering natives for nectar feeders may be the reason they are now here. (I mean the middle of Sydney). After all I only ever saw Rainbow Lorikeets, Galahs, Sulphur Crest Cockies and Corellas in cages until the late 70's in Sydney. Now they are normals?

I am going to do the drop down thingy with the bead chain and will let you know and post picks. Think it will work, and also might stop the butcherbird raids.

They are a pretty game bird, caught one yesterday in a landing net as it was hanging on the wire. It wasn't happy. Let it hang in there for 5 mins or so, no others came down but kept their distance. Let it go and it took off at a hundred miles an hour.

There is another way to get rid of them and any bird that is a threat, it is quite grisly and entails a recorder and a loud speaker. Read many years ago about the starling plagues In New York City. Various birds were trapped and had their necks wrung slowly and recorded their dying throes calls. They were played over a period of time over loud speakers. Result..... they all left.

Can't use a gun in Sydney, couldn't wring a neck, record and play back. Think I will go for the bead chain or just live with them, after all they are wild and just doing what comes naturally.

Ken.
bob21358

I bought a plastic Hawk from Bunnings as a friend of mine was having trouble with Miner birds.
The hawk looks feairly realistic and has fantastic eyes.

Anyway after 2 days she gave it back - the miner birds dive bombed the hawk for 2 days solid and she reckoned it attracted the miner birds!!!!

So obviously Bob-o-hawk doesn't do the trick.

Anyone want a second hand hawk?
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheeky buggers busted today pulling threads from a towel on the clothesline ..Obviously to line their nest .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
KENTUCKY

I live next to a nature reserve where a lot birds hang around, some of these bludgers try to get to my gouldians but, stiff cheese, they wont get anywhere near them to in flicked harm.
My Aviaries are double wired and 10 Ft deep, whenever they feel threatened by any Bird clinging onto the outside wire which scares them into action,they simply fly to the back of the aviary, raise their wings in unism and give them a distinctive 2 Feather Salute.
Diane

KENTUCKY wrote:raise their wings in unison and give them a distinctive 2 Feather Salute..
You have GOT to get a pic of that! :lol:
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Finchy

Hello

I am reawakening this thread because I want to take Niki up on her offer to borrow her Cocker Spaniel. These bloody Miners! :irked:

Matcho, how did your bead chain experiment go? (And, um, what is bead chain? :think: )

Ta :)

Return to “Anything else”