Painted Button Quail

BluJay

E Orix wrote:Rather than confuse too many I guess we are better off still calling them King Quail here and the Americans can call them Button Quail.
By doing this we don't get confused about our Turnix group which have some different habits in particular when it comes to breeding and
management.
Well said E Orix. But I believe it is a matter of educating, as I have been this evening. Wow! After two years I caught on. And by the way, your Turnix group are "cute as a button." :lol:
They also sound challenging to raise. The chienese blue breast, as far as I know have lost the instinct to brood. I bet that is cute as all get up to see Aussie button quail with a parent. Regards.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What we call King quail have no problem with brooding in Australia. The problem is that by constantly removing the quail eggs and brooding them we teach them not to do it. This is a problem with what we call Jap quail.
LML
LML
BluJay

Thanks Finchbreeder. Jap quail = Japanese quail = coturnix quail = pharaoh quail?

King quail = Chinese painted quail = Chun-Chi = blue breasted quail = Asian blue quail? Wondering.

I understand what saying about pulling eggs. Regards.
garymc

Interesting how this thread has evolved

Last weekend out fellow member Westie organised a trade, a red strawberry (avadavaat) hen to be swapped for a painted button quail cock. The guy turned up with a male king quail (as we call it here)!!

This left Westie a little bemused
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I can just imagine the look on westies face.

Making it off track again .We found 3 young painteds caught in reptile traps 2 weeks ago , they handed them to a wild life career . Next time I will get them ..... Pete
BluJay

garymc wrote:Interesting how this thread has evolved

Last weekend out fellow member Westie organised a trade, a red strawberry (avadavaat) hen to be swapped for a painted button quail cock. The guy turned up with a male king quail (as we call it here)!!

Hi Garymc, which did you get, painted buttonquail (turnix varius), http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_buttonquail or king quail (coturnix chinensis) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_quail . Regards.

Thought I should add Garymc, when I seen the "King quail" in a couple pet shops, none that I have mentioned on the forum, I was excited to see something familiar, Chinese painted quail. I was then informed they are not, rather king quail, and they're only in Australia.
When you made the thread PBQ, I did a Google search. It brought up Chinese painted quail, same search result with painted quail. So I became excited and maybe over zealous in my post. However, when Ioas, advised turnix various, I did Google search, only then did it come out as painted quail. This gave me an understanding as to the "PBQ," or "Painted."
Sometimes that is all it takes is a little understanding.
It's like when I went to the grocery looking for Jello. No knew what I was talking about. An employee was kind enough to do search on their smart phone and found it is simular to aeroplane jelly
Kind regards.
Last edited by BluJay on 16 Dec 2014, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
gomer

BluJay wrote:

Hi Garymc, which did you get, painted buttonquail (turnix varius), http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_buttonquail or king quail (coturnix chinensis) http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_quail . Regards.
Hey Blujay I dont think gary would be too excited about king quail.Have another read through the posts the answer to your question has already been said.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
BluJay

BluJay wrote:

Thought I should add Garymc, when I seen the "King quail" in a couple pet shops, none that I have mentioned on the forum, I was excited to see something familiar, Chinese painted quail. I was then informed they are not, rather king quail, and they're only in Australia.
When you made the thread PBQ, I did a Google search. It brought up Chinese painted quail, same search result with painted quail. So I became excited and maybe over zealous in my post. However, when Ioas, advised turnix various, I did Google search, only then did it come out as painted quail. This gave me an understanding as to the "PBQ," or "Painted."
Sometimes that is all it takes is a little understanding.
It's like when I went to the grocery looking for Jello. No knew what I was talking about. An employee was kind enough to do search on their smart phone and found it is simular to aeroplane jelly
Kind regards.
Hi Gomer, I was editing this, while you were posting.
Spitfire

How can a simple question by Garymc about Painted Button Quail turn out to be a so dam confusing post?
The more science that people bring into our hobby, the more people get turned off. Hooroo.
Please keep it simple for us simple folk.
BluJay

Hear hear, Spitfire, haven't you figured out I'm pretty damn simple? I know what you mean about all the science being brought up, namely the sciencetific names etc. What I found most interesting is the understanding given by Iaos, in responding to my over zealous post about loving button quail, and congratulating GaryMc, on his chicks. In turn I shared where I had learned a lot about Button Quail. That's it nothing more, Period. If that's annoying, sorry about that but thanks to this thread two people I know of learned something. GaryMc, learned approximately when his chicks will feather up so he can sex them. I learned about the turnix various. Good thread indeed.

PS: Gomer, as many times as you have gone behind me, telling me to re-read something, haven't you figured out I sometimes have short term memory loss?

Return to “Anything else”