Ipswich Show May 18-20

News and announcements from bird clubs.
GregH

There is a Caged Bird Show associated with the Ipswich show this weekend and according to the local rag there are 420 entries, so it might be worth a look.
GregH

Canaies at Ipswich Show.jpg
Oops it seems that this section was invisible at the time of posting but perhaps next year it can go in the calendar and perhaps it won't coincide with the QFS bird sale as it did this year. Anyway when it becomes visible this short review will be visible.

The Ipswich show Society's annual show is mainly a canary, budgie & parrot show but there were about 20 entries in the finch section. The show results are posted by Ipswich Show Society. It was a good show if you were into canaries I had a good talk to the Chief Steward, Mr A B Hackney. He's one of the old-timers that hold so much knowledge that we all like to hear about and I wish I'd had more time to talk but taking 4 children under 13YO to the show isn't conducive to this when side-show alley is just outside! Anyway he told me that he was one of the original founders of the QFS but was now more into the canary side of things. The tricolour PF labeled as a blue-faced PF might be evidence of that :lol:.
Finch Confusion at Ipswich Show.jpg
I was fascinated and saddened to hear that Redbank Plains were once great finch habitats. We drove through suburban Redbank on the Cunningham Highway to get to Ipswich but back in the 1960's it was all rural and he used to trap the Diamond Sparrows and Goldfinches that flocked there in Autumn.

At the show there was also display of aviaries constructed by David Hackney. I presume the Hackneys are all into birds. David's advertised prices seemed quite reasonable fro the smaller cages on display at the show although they didn't have safety doors but they can be fitted for an extra charge.

Of interest to me too was the Agricultural produce section as it seems that there are bird seed producers in the area and there were a healthy numbers of entries in the section displaying red & yellow Panicum seed, Japanese and French millet. If you live in the area it might be worth chasing up the growers for supplies of green seed. Just looking a the wild supplies of Panicum maximum at the roadside the season must be around April.
Panicum 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red

Nice photos, I see some Australian Plainheads on the top shelf in the top photo.

Interesting staging set-up with shelves on the wall, it looks good. I wish my bird club had shelves, it would save so much time setting up the young stock shows.
GregH

It was last year's show and it's been and gone this year. It was still mainly canaries and lovebirds and some larger parrots but there were some Estrillids. Their club is luck to own their showground pavilion which I bet thery couldn't afford now.

Return to “Avicultural Clubs & Associations”