Sydney Finch and Softbill Clubs

News and announcements from bird clubs.
Lukec

Which one and why?

What do they offer and do for new comers?
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
GregH

Lukec wrote:Which one and why?

What do they offer and do for new comers?
Sorry Lukec I don't quite get the gist of your question - perhaps another mod has moved it from another post and it's lost it's context. Are you asking how to chose a club and what do they offer?
Weaver

I would suggest "The Finch Society of Australia". They meet the second Wednesday of each month At Brenan Park Community Hall, Bourke St. Smithfied. Starting at 8.00.
Generally 30 or more members are there, ranging from the very experienced to newcomers.
They are quite informal and don't get bogged down with administrative reports etc. There is generally a "bird of the Month" and a guest lecturer. There is a well stocked sales table and plenty of people to talk birds.
shanebywater

HI there.
Just reading about the finch club at Smithfield. My work means I will miss this Month's one. Did I read correctly that they also have actual birds for sale there? Is that correct?
SamDavis

shanebywater wrote:HI there.
Just reading about the finch club at Smithfield. My work means I will miss this Month's one. Did I read correctly that they also have actual birds for sale there? Is that correct?
Hi Shane and welcome to AFF,
There are not birds for sale at the meetings as a matter of course, however it is a central meeting place for finch nutters from all over the Sydney area so many of us swap and buy birds off each other at the meeting. For example, I sold/swapped 3 pair Diamonds and 2 Red siskins at the recent meeting. I think it's the December meeting which is the only actual bird sale. I think Bob (above) was referring to the sales table which sells all sorts of paraphernalia - rings, medications, nest boxes, specialty softfoods, etc...
FYI, at the June meeting we had Simon who runs the Aus. Aviary Life magazine showing photos of an amazing setup he visited in Panama (and is featured in his magazine). Some stunning photos of Tanagers and Manakins (plus a heap of others) - with luck (and money) maybe one day we'll be able to import some of these.
Maybe we'll meet at the July Smithfield meeting.
Cheers,
Sam
KiwiBigD

Does this group still meet on the 2nd Wednesday as mentioned? I'm hoping to find a group where I can take my daughter along, unfortunately 8pm is a bit late as she's normally in bed at 7:30, we run a pretty strict schedule, that would be the ex-military in me :-)
SamDavis

As the current President of The Finch Society of Australia I can confirm that yes we still meet every second Wednesday at the Brenan Park Community Hall commencing at 8pm. The December meeting is not a meeting, it is an auction - finches and related accessories (maybe the odd bent bill too) - the public is welcome to attend.

I understand 8pm is a late start for young'uns - we have discussed this problem and are planning to better accommodate younger members somehow in the future. If anyone has ideas in this area please let us know as attracting younger members is a real priority. Currently junior membership is just $5 - still includes 6 magazines per year so this is at least an attempt to assist juniors. Membership form is here - http://www.finchsociety.org/fsa/form.pdf Many on AFF are already members.

Cheers,
Sam
KiwiBigD

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the information, I'll have to have a chat with the Finance Manager to see if I can bring my daughter and potentially son along to the next one. More for curiousity plus we love auctions. Will also look to joining become we come as well.

Thanks again

Davin
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm on the other side of the country, so only relavent in my experiences with other organisations trying to widen the membership. Try having alternate day and night meetings. Even months = day, odd months = night. Or vice versa. This allows for everyone and means that those that can't do one still get 6 meetings a year. 6 meetings a year is also easier for some people who might then feel more like yes I can do that.
LML
LML
danny hull

Think I might have to come and join this finch club and meet some fellow finch enthusiasts.

Return to “Avicultural Clubs & Associations”