Australian Canary Association

News and announcements from bird clubs.
Spitfire

For all you Canary Lovers on the Forum. The Australian Canary Association caters for all Varieties of Canaries. It meets in the Western Suburbs of Melbourne
every 2nd. Monday of the Month. Its' Secretary is Charles Hadeed on 03 9310 4527. All Welcome.
Bobbyboy

Is there anyone in Brisbane's northern suburbs that as a novice I can talk to?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ask questions on here, and look at posts on here.
LML
LML
Bobbyboy

Thanks "finchbreeder"but I meant actually go to and talk.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Being on the other side of the country it was the best suggestion I could make. Hope someone on your side of the country reads this and replies.
LML
LML
Bobbyboy

Hi Guys
Is there any breeders in Brisbane where I can buy a true German Roller canary, male obviously?
lyn2233

Hi I have a 30ft aviary with mainly finches and 7 canaries . I have had to separate a pair of canaries due to males fighting aviary has 4 and 1 male in a cage due to fighting . I thought I could keep them altogether any thoughts on keeping canaries in an aviary in breeding season.
Also do they disturb finch nests ? My Orange Breasted had young in nest and found everything feathers, nesting material all pulled out can't find babies as they were very young .
Thanks for any information.
Cheers Lyn
Craig52

Canaries should be kept on their own imo. They cause havoc in a mixed finch aviary especially during the breeding season by doing what said in your post.
They also eat anything provided for your finches to breed and hog the lot. They will strip anything growing in the aviary till it dies.
They also attract mosquitos into the aviary that bite your birds feet and in the end become infected, canaries also attract and carry airsac mite then pass them onto other finches.
Don't get me wrong, i do like canaries but they deserve an aviary or a breeding cabinet on their own.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The males always fight for top position at the start of the breeding season, then settle to only occassional squabbles as things progress. As long as you have at least one more hen than you do cocks they are fine in an avairy. You do need to put a lot of breeding food in to make sure that the canaries do not eat it all and leave your finches without. I mostly put the breeding food in two different locations in the avairy to help with this. I have not had mosquitos in my avairy in over 5 yrs- could be my warm dry location - but we do get mozzie round the yard occassionally. But the little sods will strip nests so I am constantly putting more nesting material than my birds can use in. If you have a seperate avairy you can put them in it can be easier. I only have 4 avairies, so mine share.
LML
LML

Return to “Avicultural Clubs & Associations”