ASA Convention

News and announcements from bird clubs.
Sullo41

Hi all,

Did anyone attend the ASA Convention during the weekend? I was unfortunately unable to attend.

Any feedback on the convention or aviary visit on the Friday?

Thanks,
Luke.
sdegiorgio

Hi Luke,

I attended the convention over the weekend. It was brilliant. :thumbup: I have only just got home so I will try to do a write up about the convention over the next day or two.

Suzanne
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.
sdegiorgio

I have prepared the outlined as promised but I now have to work out how to upload the file to the forum. :think: I have posted a request for some assistance with this in the questions section so hopefully it won't be long before I can upload the outline.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.
sdegiorgio

Here is my outline of the convention. Please click the link below to download the file.

http://public.justcloud.com/e738yk3989.63841117

I would like to say thank you and congratulations to the ASA and the Healesville Sanctuary for organizing such an outstanding weekend. I have been to a number of bird conventions now and this convention was definitely one of the best. Everything from the aviary tours, the venue, the presenters, the sanctuary tours and shows, the dinner and the food was all wonderful. I would highly recommend this convention to anyone who has an interest in birds or who is a serious breeder. The convention is expected to be run again in three years’ time.
sdegiorgio

I have a question for any forum member who attended the convention on the weekend and who was in the ‘blue lanyard group’. I have heard that when this group visited the diets / feeding / insect room, there was some discussion about the use of Vetafarm Avicleans and Virkon S for soaking and sprouting seed, and the long term effects that these products may have on birds. I am wondering if anyone from that group may be able to provide some information about the discussion. In particular I am interested in knowing what the concerns are about the long term effects of these products and whether alternative products were discussed. Thank you.
Craig52

Thanks for your review Susanne, i am unable to go to those conventions due to health reasons but have been to Healesville Sanctuary many times,infact it was the Sanctuaries fly/maggot breeding program that inspired me to introduce bush fly maggots into Aviculture.

Well done Craig :thumbup:
SamDavis

Thanks for the review Susanne. Sorry I wasn't able to attend.

I too would be interested in any reputable evidence of issues with Virkon S
E Orix

I was one of the purple brigade but unfortunately I was attending the NFSA AGM and missed the tour.
What I can say is I have used Vircon S for a long while.
Two of my friends both very experienced breeders and both have chemical back grounds yet each has
a different opinion.
Why do I still use it because in my opinion the upside is better than the risk of other contaminants.
Sullo41

Fantastic review Suzanne. Appreciate the effort you went to putting it together. I'm very frustrated I missed out but will hopefully be able to attend in the future.
Luke.
gomer

Thanks for the report Suzanne.I went to the finch and softbill convention there but decided to give the A.S.A one a miss. Partly because I am more so interested in finches and softbills but also I had visitors from overseas to entertain anyway. Sounds like a great weekend had by all attended.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches

Return to “Avicultural Clubs & Associations”